What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need imput for small nepanthes

i am looking for small species or hybrids that will thrive in 20-55 gallon vivs with dart frogs. what neps stay small and compact?? i was looking at one that had pitchers at the base of the plant. any info is helpful. also where or who has any for sale??

I do not believe it is the best interest for you to house both dendrobates-epitobates with nepenthes. For one, the requirements for both do not match. Dendros like a bit more free water than nepenthes would tolerate. They will be in competition for food and the fouling of pitcher fluids would cause problems for your frogs. Some may even get caught in these and be consumed themselves. I have seen tree frogs become part of the meal of nepenthes, especially the tadpoles that the fathers might hold there, upon returning, might be part of the menu for that nep.
I suggest that you get two separate tanks for them. Besides a 55 gallon is large enough just for a pair/trio of dart frogs any way!

M

actually there is a note on black jungles website that they have successfully kept neps and darts together. i wouldnt recommend it, cheap darts run $18 or so, $40 plus being normal for most species, thats still alot of money to gamble. personally i wouldnt do it.

thanks for all your input i have 15 different darts and just wanted to mix up the tanks allitle bit

cool, ive got 2 azureus and 2 suri cobalt tincs. i thought about putting a nep in one of the tanks before i had gotten the darts. but after i shelled out the cash i had a hard time justifying the risk. ive been adding Utrics and Genlisea to the tanks though. if you ever have extra terrarium type plants to trade, especially odd ball stuff im always up for trading.

Back