What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. x miranda

lol

BANNED
I have a miranda which I got from cook's.  While most other mirandas have large, reddish leaves, and large red spotted pitchers with a red, slightly striped peristome, Mine is very different.  The one out there seems to be very close to a pure mixta, and may actualy be the same cross, but with different plants. Mine has smaller, green leaves, and dark red/purple spotted pitchers with a lighter, ruby red peristome.  See-

********EDIT******

Let's see if photobucket is all it's cracked up to be.

IMAGE_015.jpg

The whole plant can be seen in the upper right corner
IMAGE_028.jpg

the upper pitchers
IMAGE_037.jpg

I think what I have may be what the used to call "Holland Hybrid"

Looks like N. 'Gentle' or 'Corn.bak' to us.
Here are pics of the real N. 'Miranda'
N.%20'Miranda'%207-20-05.JPG

N.%20Miranda%20upper%20and%20lower%209-3-04.JPG

Here is the real 'Holland Hybrid'
N.%20'Holland%20Hybrid'%207-31-05.JPG

Here are some pics of our 'Gentle', but your plant looks like it has not been grown as bright.
N.%20corn.bak%206-3-04.JPG

N.%20corn.bak%20upper%20pitcher%208-14-04.JPG

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Thanks. No, my plant DEFFINATELY doesn't have any fusca in it like Gentle. The lid doesn't curl up life fusca, and the peristome is shaped more like maxima than fusca. Uppers are not similar to fusca at all. The chamber I grow it in is actualy very bright. The pitchers attain the same color in maximum light, but in either case the peristome always goes from a pale red to a dark ruby red with age on the lowers. I'll get newer pics up soon. Mine looks as if mixta is more of a distant relative, rather than a parent. Also note the consistent point in the lower peristome that doesn't occur with fusca or gentle.

Yes, get better pics up there. It's hard to say, but it's not a Miranda or Holland Hybrid.

Maybe this will help out. More pics of the pitchers. I have also noticed that while the leaves form quickly, lower pitchers are rather slow...

IMAGE_055.jpg

IMAGE_053.jpg

IMAGE_051.jpg

IMAGE_050.jpg

Hope that helps.

There might be several clones going under the name of N. Miranda.  I have a couple of pictures to show this.

This is one of my N. Miranda (of several clones of this name).
Nepenthes_2_004.jpg

Another angle of pitcher
Nepenthes_2_011.jpg

Another form with less red in the peristome is also evident.  

Nepenthes_1_018.jpg

I have other forms with varying amounts of red, speckling and some with different pitcher shapes.  I believe that several clones of Miranda were tissue cultured under the same blanket under this name.  I also believe there are several forms of the plant going around as N. Ventrata (from the same grower), as some pitchers are red on the uppers and others are yellow green.  

Michael

Hmm. The closest my plants come to anything I've seen is to the "holland hybrid" that was sold by california carnivores. I remember it looking a lot like mine, as it was a maxima hybrid. And as I thought, mine is not like the typical miranda. Mine seems to have a smaller growth habit, although the pitchers should reach a nice size, just narrower. I find its color to be rather unique (I like how it resembles N. aptera
biggrin.gif
), and a good grower, so I'm satisfied
biggrin.gif
. Anyone want cuttings?

Whatever there parentage is they all look very nice
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

Nice, nice, very nice!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hmm.  The closest my plants come to anything I've seen is to the "holland hybrid" that was sold by california carnivores.  I remember it looking a lot like mine, as it was a maxima hybrid.  And as I thought, mine is not like the typical miranda.  Mine seems to have a smaller growth habit, although the pitchers should reach a nice size, just narrower.

lol,
Maybe you didn't see our pic of the real 'Holland Hybrid', which is not a maxima hybrid.  The parentage is unknown, but it is believed to be alata x sanguinea, see the pic on the previous page.  Please do not label your plant 'Holland Hybrid', as it is clearly not.  Please help prevent confused Nep nomenclature and do not give other growers cuttings of this plant mislabeled as 'Holland Hybrid'.  
If you really want to find out what you may have (the possibilities are endless, that plant coiuld be any one of thousands of hybrids) you might want to ask the source where you obtained the mystery plant.  At least you could narrow down the possibilities... we could keep guessing here, but it still is not a positive id.

I agree Trent. I just meant that this hybrid resembles what CA carnivores incorrectly labeled Holland Hybrid a while back if anyone has seen that one. The one they had was a maxima hybrid that looked a lot like mine.

Hi lol,
This is the pic of 'Holland Hybrid' from CA Carnivores site (hope that's okay).  Sorry, I don't see the resemblance to your plant at all.

Nepenthes_x_Holland_hybrid-lg.jpg

The pic above looks like a small version of our 'Holland Hybrid', which is believed to be alata x sanguinea (not maxima).
N.%20'Holland%20Hybrid'%207-31-05.JPG

Perplexing. They must've sold be something different. One thing I remember about the hybrid they game was that the pitchers were more purple spotted, and the peristome had a prominant hook/point at the bottom, much like mine. Who knows...
confused.gif

Lol, I think I have the same hybrid as you. It doesn't get very big and it looks about the same as yours.

Back