Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nep. sex?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General accepted practice is to list the female first.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another interesting trait I've noticed in some hybrids is variability in the same plants. I have hybrid Neps where the pitchers sometimes resemble more the pod parent, and sometimes the pollen parent. I've seen this with thorelii x truncata for example, where the lowers are sometimes like giant thorelii pitchers, and other times more like red truncata pitchers.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting Hamish! Perhaps changes in environment might bring out one parents traits over the other. There is deffinately a change as plants mature and as they change from lower to intermediate to upper as well.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what does it, it could be environmental as changes that suits one parent's genes triggers those to be dominant. I was just checking a maxima x veitchii that I have, and the newest pitcher has a strong maxima influence, the pitcher being quite cylindrical like maxima, with the veitchii influence being the peristome. The previous pitcher was the most veitchii-like I've seen, with a much longer peristome neck, and with a squatter pitcher more reminiscent of veitchii. Hmmmm....

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta back up what Michael was saying about trunc x vent. and vent x trunc. We have both hybrids. Our trunc x ventricosa is a single large plant, but we have a number of seedlings of ventricosa x truncata from EP. Overall, in a generalized sort of way, the Vent x trunc is a little more ventricosa influenced, even though some of the sibling exhibit a more elongated pitcher (truncata like). But, our large truncata x ventricosa has a slightly more ventricosa like lower trap and a more trunc like upper, and occasionally pitchers show a narrowed waist....hmmmm indeed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12