User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good idea?

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 11 2005,4:25)]nepenthes don't grow in peat/sand.
    And I never said to plant them in there, I said that I used to have my mexican Pings in that mix with disastrous results
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course they CAN grow in it. most people just dont use it.

i'm sorry you had bad luck with your pings, but i've never lost a ping to substrate. i grow several mexican pings in peat/sand (50/50) on the tray system. the rest are in 1/1/1/1 peat perlite vermiculite sand mix. i dont plan to transplant the 1/1 peat/sand pings untill they need transplanting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it doesn't really matter what media anyone uses. we all have different results. some of us grow plants in seemingly deadly conditions with excellent results.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 11 2005,7:20)]of course they CAN grow in it. most people just dont use it.

i'm sorry you had bad luck with your pings, but i've never lost a ping to substrate. i grow several mexican pings in peat/sand (50/50) on the tray system. the rest are in 1/1/1/1 peat perlite vermiculite sand mix. i dont plan to transplant the 1/1 peat/sand pings untill they need transplanting.
    Then Im afraid youre outnumbered, because many people have found the same
    Some people grow their Pings in wetter substrates, but if you look those Pings are in shallow containers or other experimental pots, and I only know of a few people who grow them like that

And you said Nepenthes dont grow in peat and sand mixes, now youre saying they can
    Please, make your mind up
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1000th post.

Starman,

Relax guy. What JLAP meant to say in the first place was that neps usually tend to prefer a more open mix. For a better idea of what substrates they would prefer, please look to where the plant originates and how it grows in that habitat. I use peaterlite if I have no LFS, cause a potted plant period has a better chance of surviving than it just laying on the shelf. When using peaterlite with neps you just don't normally water as much since the peat will hold a bit more moisture.

As far as pings, i know a lot of growers that use shallow containers and the tray method. Personally I do as much as I can, but my mixture for their substrate is quite a bit different from the norm as there are no organics in it at all. No peat, no LFS.

JLAP,
    Quote[/b] ]it doesn't really matter what media anyone uses. we all have different results. some of us grow plants in seemingly deadly conditions with excellent results.
    Good point. I've grown plants in certain conditions that have scared a lot of growers, yet those plants have done somewhat better than the standard methods for me.

Basically, almost any media will work, as long as it's nutrient free and gives the roots what they need. Experiments are great. Just remember when using different media types that watering methods/schedules as well should be changed to compensate.

Ahh, that felt good for 1000. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANK you vertigo. precisely what i meant.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've never grown mexican pings in any wierd mix... Always either a peat:sand (50:50) or pure peat... yeah, pure peat.. Oh and this was on a tray system where they didn't get much of a dry period at all... The reason I did/do this is because of the man that intoduced me to pings, Joseph (pingman) he has alot of his potted this way.. But does try other things also... From what joseph has said to me, his (and my) plants live this way because of the high amounts of lights we provide the plants. Which seams true, since now that i've had to move all my plants out to the g/h wich doesn't get tons of light... i have infact been loosing some of my pings. So, now with this- i may need to go to the "well known" mexican ping mix and see what happens.. Point is, mexican pings can and do live in very wet conditions.....
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP, do you have a link to your grow list so I can see what types of pings you are growing? I'm curious because I grow quite a few myself, some in a more traditional manner and others in a not so traditional manner. Which ones do you grow "traditionally" and which ones that you grow do you grow under "seemingly deadly conditions with excellent results". Do you grow only Mexican pings the way you desribed previously or do you try others? I guess what I am most curious about is a breakdown of your pings and which ones you are growing which way.

I grow a few (handful) of my Mexican pings in shallow "experimental" pots with no trays. They are doing perfectly fine so far with a lot of light and I do mean a lot of light.

edited to add, the few Neps we have we grow in an orchid bark, coir, charcoal mix and we never allow them to sit in water. So far our only losses are attributable to one cat who sneaks in and chews on plants and rips them out of their pots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast