What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good idea?

would it be a good idea to pot a N.x Manny herrera with a ventricosa allong with mexican butterworts, drosera capensis, drosera adelae, all in a 12 inch pot? this would end up looking like a large houseplant planted with folige plants.

Hi,
Nope, sorry, bad idea
smile_h_32.gif

Mexican Pings like a very well drained compost with plenty of artificial materials, a compost composed of 1:1:1:1 peat, perlite, sand, vermiculite is good for them, but Neps like wetter soil which will rot the mexican Pings roots
Drosera adelae doesnt like as much sun as all the other plants do, so the drosera adelae would struggle because of sunlight levels while all the other plants are happy in the sunlight levels
However, theres no reason why not to plant the Neps with Drosera adelae at their base so it gets shaded even when the pot is in partly sunny conditions(which s favoured by Neps) and you could possible put in D.capensis, and there is no reason why you couldnt have a big pot of Mexican Pings(however, mexican pings have shallow roots and dont like pots that are too deep)

Actually, it's worth a shot. I have nepenthes with drosera capensis and spatulata that have found their way into the pots. And, I have a nep that sat under the shelf that had my P. lusitanica, and anyone with one of those knows that the seed gets everywhere. Now a nice P. lusitanica lives in the nepenthes pot, growing right out of the lfs.

Capslock

go ahead.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Aug. 10 2005,1:29)]Actually, it's worth a shot. I have nepenthes with drosera capensis and spatulata that have found their way into the pots. And, I have a nep that sat under the shelf that had my P. lusitanica, and anyone with one of those knows that the seed gets everywhere. Now a nice P. lusitanica lives in the nepenthes pot, growing right out of the lfs.

Capslock
yes, but P.lusitanica loves wet boggy soil....mexican pings dont, they would rot away in such conditions

Please trust me on this one, Ive tried to put mexican pings in straight peat and sand, but most rotted away and i pulled the rest up and put them in a free draining mix before they rotted away aswell

nepenthes don't grow in peat/sand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 11 2005,4:25)]nepenthes don't grow in peat/sand.
why not?

i mean, i agree that there are better substrates...but why not?

I've received numerous neps in my experience that looked to have been planted in peat:sand, some even from larger nurseries.

And I thought N. mirabilis (could be wrong) enjoyed a wet peaty mix?

Some nursery sellers here sell commercially grown Neps in a peat:sand or a peat:perlite mix, usually with peat being dominant in the mix.....at least some of their plants are sold like that
From what I have seen, those Neps are as healthy as anyone elses

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 11 2005,4:25)]nepenthes don't grow in peat/sand.
And I never said to plant them in there, I said that I used to have my mexican Pings in that mix with disastrous results

of course they CAN grow in it. most people just dont use it.

i'm sorry you had bad luck with your pings, but i've never lost a ping to substrate. i grow several mexican pings in peat/sand (50/50) on the tray system. the rest are in 1/1/1/1 peat perlite vermiculite sand mix. i dont plan to transplant the 1/1 peat/sand pings untill they need transplanting.

it doesn't really matter what media anyone uses. we all have different results. some of us grow plants in seemingly deadly conditions with excellent results.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 11 2005,7:20)]of course they CAN grow in it. most people just dont use it.

i'm sorry you had bad luck with your pings, but i've never lost a ping to substrate. i grow several mexican pings in peat/sand (50/50) on the tray system. the rest are in 1/1/1/1 peat perlite vermiculite sand mix. i dont plan to transplant the 1/1 peat/sand pings untill they need transplanting.
Then Im afraid youre outnumbered, because many people have found the same
Some people grow their Pings in wetter substrates, but if you look those Pings are in shallow containers or other experimental pots, and I only know of a few people who grow them like that

And you said Nepenthes dont grow in peat and sand mixes, now youre saying they can
Please, make your mind up

1000th post. ;)

Starman,

Relax guy. ;) What JLAP meant to say in the first place was that neps usually tend to prefer a more open mix. For a better idea of what substrates they would prefer, please look to where the plant originates and how it grows in that habitat. I use peat:perlite if I have no LFS, cause a potted plant period has a better chance of surviving than it just laying on the shelf. When using peat:perlite with neps you just don't normally water as much since the peat will hold a bit more moisture.

As far as pings, i know a lot of growers that use shallow containers and the tray method. Personally I do as much as I can, but my mixture for their substrate is quite a bit different from the norm as there are no organics in it at all. No peat, no LFS.

JLAP,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]it doesn't really matter what media anyone uses. we all have different results. some of us grow plants in seemingly deadly conditions with excellent results.

Good point. I've grown plants in certain conditions that have scared a lot of growers, yet those plants have done somewhat better than the standard methods for me.

Basically, almost any media will work, as long as it's nutrient free and gives the roots what they need. Experiments are great. Just remember when using different media types that watering methods/schedules as well should be changed to compensate.

Ahh, that felt good for 1000.
smilie4.gif

THANK you vertigo. precisely what i meant.

I've never grown mexican pings in any wierd mix... Always either a peat:sand (50:50) or pure peat... yeah, pure peat.. Oh and this was on a tray system where they didn't get much of a dry period at all... The reason I did/do this is because of the man that intoduced me to pings, Joseph (pingman) he has alot of his potted this way.. But does try other things also... From what joseph has said to me, his (and my) plants live this way because of the high amounts of lights we provide the plants. Which seams true, since now that i've had to move all my plants out to the g/h wich doesn't get tons of light... i have infact been loosing some of my pings. So, now with this- i may need to go to the "well known" mexican ping mix and see what happens.. Point is, mexican pings can and do live in very wet conditions.....
Andrew

JLAP, do you have a link to your grow list so I can see what types of pings you are growing? I'm curious because I grow quite a few myself, some in a more traditional manner and others in a not so traditional manner. Which ones do you grow "traditionally" and which ones that you grow do you grow under "seemingly deadly conditions with excellent results". Do you grow only Mexican pings the way you desribed previously or do you try others? I guess what I am most curious about is a breakdown of your pings and which ones you are growing which way.

I grow a few (handful) of my Mexican pings in shallow "experimental" pots with no trays. They are doing perfectly fine so far with a lot of light and I do mean a lot of light.

edited to add, the few Neps we have we grow in an orchid bark, coir, charcoal mix and we never allow them to sit in water. So far our only losses are attributable to one cat who sneaks in and chews on plants and rips them out of their pots.

Hey Laura,
Could I see your growlist?
And yours too JLAP

Gonna make me think now are you!  OK, give me a little bit and I'll go round up our list. We've lost a few to a sneaky cat but all the rest seem to be doing fine.

edited to add the list of Neps
N. alata (highland form)
N. burbidgeae (from eBay)
N. copelandii
N. ephippiata
N. faizaliana
N. fusca
N. "Gentle" (died without help from cat)
N. ‘Judith Finn’ (just ordered and have not received yet)
N. khasiana (destroyed by cat)
N. lowii
N. macfarlanei
N. maxima (highland form)
N. rafflesiana
N. reinwardtiana
N. sanguinea
N. sibuyanensis  
N. tobaica (destroyed by cat)
N. truncata (highland form)
N. veitchii (highland form) (destroyed by cat)
N. x ventrata
N. ventricosa, red peristome  
N. spathulata x spectabilis
N. truncata x ventricosa

Now don't get overly impressed, most of these were purchased from Par-O-Bek orchids and came in perfect condition which means we were in good shape with a healthy plant out the gate. As you can see, the list is predominantly highlands.  We had a lot of help making our selections from Tony and purchased the species most likely to have a shot at surviving in the growing conditions we could provide. We were doing fine... well... until there was a little bit of interference from the cat that was an opportunist and went in and chewed up and uprooted a few when we were on holiday the last time. I'll get around to replacing those sooner or later.

And here are the Neps my son would like to add to what we already have-
N. bellii (highland form)
N. densiflora
N. hamata
N. glabrata
He has high hopes.

OK JLAP, your turn. What Neps do you grow?

editing yet again to add-
all Neps are grown under the same conditions in the same potting mix. It's sink or swim for them. Guess I better go dig up my Ping list.

just the common stuff. they aren't really that great to me. moranensis, essereriana, gigantae, moctezumae, agnata, and some hybrids and cultivars like sethos, weser. (speeling)

i grow them all the same and the only reason some have different mixes is they needed repotted and i did just threw some stuff together.

Sorry starman, I'll list my ping-a-lings but I thought we were all talking about Nep mixes originally and whether the potting medium and growing conditions for Neps could support a Mexican ping.  Here's my list of ping-a-lings. I placed an * by the ones that I am growing in Japanese dinner bowls with no trays and water up to the lowest tier of the plant's leaves.

PINGUICULA
P. agnata *
P. agnata "True Blue" *
P. caerulea, Baker Co., FL
P. emarginata
P. gigantean
P. gigantea "Phil's Giant" *
P. grandiflora
P. gypsicola
P. ionantha
P. 'John Rizzi' *
P. lusitanica (died)
P. lusitanica seedlings (died)
P. lusitanica seedlings (I killed the second batch of those too)
P. lutea
P. lutea, Pasco Co., FL
P. moranensis
P. planifolia
P. primuliflora (Lowes)
P. 'Sethos' *
P. 'Weser'

Now I need some help from JLAP understanding what was meant by deadly conditions. Did you mean growing all of your pings the same and just potting them in whatever you could throw together that was available when you needed to repot them or that some of your pings were growing in with your Neps and doing fine?  Do you grow Neps? I'm all for experimentation and I do a lot of bizarre things just to test out the waters but I don't think growing Mexican Pings in with a Nep is going to work. Orchids with a Nep and some Drosera maybe but I just don't see a Mexican ping thriving in the same pot with a Nep. My Mexican pings like a lot of fresh water that is flushed frequently it seems and I have mine in a totally different growing medium while my Neps are never allowed to sit in water and they are spritzed with a spray bottle to increase the relative humidity around them at least 2-3x a day. Lighting is totally different also as my son's Neps receive a tremendous amount of very bright indirect light for about 12 hours a day while my pings are getting some filtered eastern light for about 6 hours a day with a tremendous amount of supplemental lighting. Who knows, maybe what I am doing would be deemed "deadly conditions" but I really don't see any good end result for a Mexican ping grown in the same pot with a Nep. I see them ending up like every P. lusitanica that comes through my door- deader than a doornail.

Back