Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

would it be a good idea to pot a N.x Manny herrera with a ventricosa allong with mexican butterworts, drosera capensis, drosera adelae, all in a 12 inch pot? this would end up looking like a large houseplant planted with folige plants.
    Mens Et Manus

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Nope, sorry, bad idea [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Mexican Pings like a very well drained compost with plenty of artificial materials, a compost composed of 1:1:1:1 peat, perlite, sand, vermiculite is good for them, but Neps like wetter soil which will rot the mexican Pings roots
    Drosera adelae doesnt like as much sun as all the other plants do, so the drosera adelae would struggle because of sunlight levels while all the other plants are happy in the sunlight levels
    However, theres no reason why not to plant the Neps with Drosera adelae at their base so it gets shaded even when the pot is in partly sunny conditions(which s favoured by Neps) and you could possible put in D.capensis, and there is no reason why you couldnt have a big pot of Mexican Pings(however, mexican pings have shallow roots and dont like pots that are too deep)
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it's worth a shot. I have nepenthes with drosera capensis and spatulata that have found their way into the pots. And, I have a nep that sat under the shelf that had my P. lusitanica, and anyone with one of those knows that the seed gets everywhere. Now a nice P. lusitanica lives in the nepenthes pot, growing right out of the lfs.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go ahead.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Aug. 10 2005,1:29)]Actually, it's worth a shot. I have nepenthes with drosera capensis and spatulata that have found their way into the pots. And, I have a nep that sat under the shelf that had my P. lusitanica, and anyone with one of those knows that the seed gets everywhere. Now a nice P. lusitanica lives in the nepenthes pot, growing right out of the lfs.

Capslock
    yes, but P.lusitanica loves wet boggy soil....mexican pings dont, they would rot away in such conditions

Please trust me on this one, Ive tried to put mexican pings in straight peat and sand, but most rotted away and i pulled the rest up and put them in a free draining mix before they rotted away aswell

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepenthes don't grow in peat/sand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 11 2005,4:25)]nepenthes don't grow in peat/sand.
    why not?

i mean, i agree that there are better substrates...but why not?

I've received numerous neps in my experience that looked to have been planted in peat:sand, some even from larger nurseries.

And I thought N. mirabilis (could be wrong) enjoyed a wet peaty mix?
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some nursery sellers here sell commercially grown Neps in a peat:sand or a peaterlite mix, usually with peat being dominant in the mix.....at least some of their plants are sold like that
    From what I have seen, those Neps are as healthy as anyone elses

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast