Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sharing with all cp's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my guess .Only mirabilis and gracilis were found around the lowlying area.N.northiana was a distance away up the limestone hill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic photos!
    There are a number of possibilities for the hybrid. Agree with RFG. about the northiana showing more peristome. Perhaps the hybrid is (gracilis x (gracilis x northiana)).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    today i get the answer from a forest conservationist(also a botanist).Indeed it's northiana x gracilis.I also have another variation as in the following photos.

close up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The image above is different to the previous one, which I am almost 100% sure is gracilis. The peristome is completely different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    slight variation in color and physical appearance.The previous is brownish red,the later yellowish spotted red.Natural hybridisation,maybe.I will made another trip to find out.Both are in the same locality.:laugh:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one definitely looks like gracilis x northiana.
    Troy, one that previous plant, do you think the leaves look too broad for a pure gracilis?-- Which is why I suggested the (gracilis x (gracilis x northiana)) I would certainly defer to your opinion on it, knowing you have probably seen thousands of individual gracilis plants in habitat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another photo taken in the same location(Bau Limestone Hills)the place where our big brother(N.northiana)live .Does it look like the previous
    two?I can see slight differences-small,slender but the peristome show same feature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael, I don't think that's always the case. Whilst northiana hybrids often have a more flared peristome, it does depend on the species with which it hybridises. For example, N. x cincta, a natural hybrid between northiana and albomarginata, is almost indistinguishable from albomarginata, such is albomarginata's peristome's genetic dominance. It is a great "quasher" of peristomes of species with which it is hybridised. I've seen other albomarginata hybrids which have completely quashed a showy peristome of the other parent. I don't know about gracilis, but it could be a similar thing.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast