Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Easy plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try N. sumatrana, a nice, easy lowland species if you have room for it(it gets huge).
    N. veitchii x maxima and similar crosses are nice and tolerant of different conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    easy ones for me have been, N. x ventrata, N. x Miranda, N. bongso, N. veitchii "highland/striped peristrome" if i keep it good and humid does wonderful for me as does N. ampularia "speckled". it relly depends on where you live and what temps you keep your house. i have the best luck with hybrids and easy highlanders like the bongso and veitchii cause my house is fairly cool. ppl in Florida will probably have better luck with lowlanders. just depends
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second that comment - your particular environment will have a big impact on what plants do well. Where I live, sometimes the summers are humid, but for the last 3-4 years they've been very dry. Some of the 'easier' species pitcher poorly compared to others in those conditions. Further, some species will grow brilliantly for me for several years, then sulk for several years, then grow well again etc.

Another thing to remember is that a lot of information around is dated, and arises from those species that have been in cultivation for a long time. Accordingly, alata, maxima, ventricosa and sanguinea get referred to often as very easy to grow. But those species have just been commonly grown for a long time, so have built up this entrenched view, because they were being compared to the relatively limited pool of species that were in common cultivation.

Now there are many more species available, and some species which were rare (which people often associate with them being difficult) are now common, and easier to grow than the traditional favourites in certain types of conditions.

All I can say is, try anything that would generally fit in your local conditions, and see if it works for you. What may be a pesky species for someone else may be a breeze for you, and vice versa.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VERY true! i'm overgrown with cephalotus, which alot of people said wouldn't do so great in my lowland setup, yet i live in georgia and can't grow dionaea to save my life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agreed as Hamish stated that is exactly happeing in nature

..the forest...my garden...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael,
    That is something to be proud of. That hybrid is probably the one most snubbed by people who grow these plants, and that thing is an absolute monster. A common hybrid well grown looks better to me than somebodies cm N. rajah. Just MHO.
    Well done!

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my "easy growers' that hasn't been mentioned is N. copelandii. It's a strong grower and the pitchers have great color.

(Michael - terrific job with the N. ventrata!!)
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123