What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a housplant nep

Hey everybody! I need some help here. My Judith Finn is getting too big for the terrerium. I need advice on how to turn it into a housplant since I will not be able to get a greenhouse within the near future. Also the pitchers probably only one tenth full of pitcher fluid. How can I turn it into a housplant without having fluidless pitchers? Thanks for all your help!

Several of us (Elgecko, Capslock,...) have ours in hanging baskets. Elgecko has a killer N. hamata that is right in his 40% humidity kitchen, right near glass doors.

i've got a huge nep in my kitchen too. i'm not sure what type it is but it's also in a hanging basket. i found out it wasn't getting enough light i the window so it's still there but i just added a grow light and it's doing great!

All my Neps (fusca, khasiana, maxima, rafflesiana, sanguinea, & ventricosa before this summer's additions) are houseplants during the cold months.  Humidity is down in the 40% range and lower.  Those too big to fit under my orchid lighting hang in windows and stop pitchering.  I've wondered if it's because the light isn't so good there or because of a cooler temperature or maybe lower humidity or maybe a combination.  But, whatever the cause, it's OK because none of my other plants bloom or have fruit or pitchers or whatever all year.

yeah when i posted pics here people told me mine wasn't pitchering b/c it was lacking light. hopefully i'll see new pitchers soon. i have tons of new growth!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 12 2005,8:51)]Several of us (Elgecko, Capslock,...) have ours in hanging baskets. Elgecko has a killer N. hamata that is right in his 40% humidity kitchen, right near glass doors.
I sure do.
I also have a N. ventrata and a N. rafflesiana.

At a work window I have a N. 'Emmarene' (khasiana x ventricosa).

Yeah, all of my nepenthes are grown open air, but it depends on your location and the conditions. There are a lot of nepenthes that grow in household temperatures and reasonable humidity, but they need a sunny window to pitcher well. If you can provide that, you can grow plants that pitcher profusely. People who live in dry places or that run air conditioning are going to have a problem with dry air, however.

Also when it's dry I spray some water into my pitchers. Not too much, but just to maintain the level. They don't have much more fluid than yours, generally.

Here's a nep I grow in the window from last summer (since cut down and cuttings made.)
N_hirsuta_x_veitchi12.sized.jpg

I did supplement this one with a regular desklamp and a 20-watt compact fluorescent bulb.

Capslock

The air conditioner thing isn't alwayd bad.  When my ac runs, the humidity always goes up, so I run it as much as I can, or until the bill gets too high
smile_m_32.gif
.  I grow all my neps in open household conditions with surprising succsess.  All the way from thin leafed mirabilis to N. fusca.  My ventrata is pitchering like a maniach... Although I don't currently have any strict highlanders right now, I have grown such plants as raja in the past.  If you can't provide good humidity, then make sure all other conditions are good, such as watering and temps, and make sure it gets as much light as possible.  You can grow anything, if you just believe
biggrin.gif

lol (lol) you sound like one of those commercials for depression!lol. Is there any speed I need to take to prevent shock?

When moving plants from a terrarium into indoor or outdoor conditions, it's best to do it slowly. However, no matter how slowly you do it, older growth will always react adversely. Start opening the terrarium bit by bit, opening it a little bit more once a week.

Back