What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clone genders

All of the clones of N. hamata and aristolochioides that I've come across appear to be male. Does anyone know if any have turned out female? All of Malesiana & Wistuba's clones have been around long enough for them to have flowered, so this should be known by now.

Hamish

I am aware of at least one female N. aristolochioides, and will leave it at that.

I am sure a female N. hamata will show up. When I had talked with Malesiana a while back, my understanding was their stock consisted of at least a dozen different clones.

Tony

At least there's hope for me (and my male plants) yet. I've got about 3 or 4 of each that should come into flower from October, I'm not sure whether they're all different clones, but I'll let you know if I have any girls.

I hope a girl hamata shows up. The hybrid offspring should prove to be more hamata dominant.

I'm actually hoping for a female so I can produce species seed, as I think species are more important that hybrids. However, I have also thought about testing whether a female would provide stronger hamata traits in offspring, although genetics is not so predictable. Dominance/recessiveness and interactions probably play a greater role.

Hamish,

My aristo is a female. It is in flower as we speak. I did a cross with my male dyeriana pollen. It appears to have taken. Another flower spike is developing. If you have some pollen you want to send, maybe we could try to make something cool. I was thinking of using what little mira pollen I had left to cross with aristo. You know how to reach me if you're interested in anything.

As for hamata. Both of mine haven't flowered yet. I wouldn't mind having a male, I could use the pollen for my other female plants!

Take care,

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Well I currently have an aristo, and 2 hamata with at least 3 feet of vine each, but I'm not sure how to get them to flower. They don't seem to want to flower under my artificial lighting conditions. I even tried switching up the hours of lighting from 15 hours to 12, but still no flowers. So I'm waiting with you guys.

smile_m_32.gif

Both aristo and hamata tend to flower fairly early on, not too long after producing uppers and vining. I believe light is a very key element, but temperatures may have something to do with it too.

Joel, pity you're in a different hemisphere. My aristos won't flower until later in the year, sometime between October and January. I have 4 adult plants, but only 3 are at flowering size, so I'm hoping for both genders. Unfortunately they're all from Malesiana, so I'm reluctant to use them with each other for breeding. I've got some aristo seedlings from seed that a friend collected in Sumatra last year, so I'm expecting some to be hybrids. But at least I'm guaranteed to get both males and females from that batch in a few years.

All the hamatas that have flowered that I know of have been male. I think that Wistuba only has 2 clones. I don't know how many Malesiana have. I think that BE only has one clone.

Now if I could get my eymae to flower I'd be happy! It's a cutting from a female plant, each year I keep waiting, and each year I keep getting disappointed.
smile_h_32.gif

Hamish,

I store my pollen in the freezer. I heard that it can be stored that way and viable for up to a year. Maybe that might bridge the hemisphere conundrum. I agree on the vining. My aristo didn't flower until this year off of a vining stem. My hamatas aren't into vining yet, but one looks close. One I'm growing in full sun like the aristo yearround, the other under partial shadecloth. It's taken a beating but has that look like it might vine. I know that my mature plants in sun always flower every year.

Also my eymae I've had for years from a cutting has only produced uppers. Not even a basal shoot! That thing is a good 3 foot and still won't produce any basals. Like you I'm waiting for it to flower. It certainly is of age!

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Joel,

Sorry to say that is a typical trait of eymae. It will vine for years and years without producing any basal shoots. However, it will produce numerous lateral shoots, so you will get plenty of branches. In these respects it can be differentiated markedly from maxima.

Mine is about 5 foot tall, no basals, but 4 branches off the main stem. I'm going to take cuttings from it this year, and there are another 7 plump nodes that I'm sure will shoot when I cut the tips.

Hamish,

I was worried it might act like inermis if I were to take a cutting. I'd hate for the plant to go into some sort of funk after being cut and die like inermis seems to do.

Joel

Back