What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had a few (no not beers) so you get pics!

Some recent pics.. One of these days I will get the website pics updated!  (one can dream anyway)

Malesiana clone I thought was particular attractive.
N. hamata APA (just my way of IDing clones of interest to me)
NhamataAPA.jpg

Newest pitcher on N. aptera.  the wings do seem to be dissappearing at a fairly young age.
Naptera.jpg

This one is starting to take some shape and get more detail in the pitchers.  N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana
NburbXedwMT2.jpg

A few similar plants of different clones:
N. ventricosa x lowii  This is one of the clones from the original cross.
NventriXlowiiJS.jpg

These two are from the seed grown remake N. lowii x ventricosa red.. still with lower pitchers.
clone APA
NlowiiXventriAPA.jpg

clone APB, a little scrunched. Very bulbous pitcher base on this clone.
NlowiiXventriAPB.jpg

Under appreciated lowland plant. N. tomoriana
Lower pitchers
NtomorianaBE2.jpg

Starting to go upper??
N. maxima x xTrusmadiensis clone APB. This one always had more N. maxima influence showing.
NmaxXTrusAPB.jpg

And finally.. newest pitcher on a seed grown N. truncata highland.  Maybe one day if I have a spare I will stick it in full sun to really see it's full color!
NtruncataHLBE_APD2.jpg

Peristome closeup.. enjoy.  I could stare at it for hours.  Too bad that's not condusive to getting much done at the greenhouse!
NtruncataHLBE_APD2Peri.jpg

Tony

Awesome pictures Tony! Thanks for taking the time. ...I appriciate that N. tomoriana
smile_m_32.gif

That peristome is hypnotic
smile_k_ani_32.gif
!

Vey nice plants and as you say that truncata is beutiful!
Im looking for tomoria can you give me some advice how to grow it?

Tony, magnificent photography from you as usual. That truncata is spectacular, I hope some of the tissue culture clones turn out to be as nice. I can certainly see that plant being a great hybrid parent, although how you could improve on it is beyond me ;)

Also nice to see a pic of aptera, mine look absolutely awful as I've discovered that they have a particular aversion to a fungicide which has minimal adverse affect on other Nepenthes.

Hamish

Hi Tony
Awsome photos,the N Tomoriana looks very similiar to n Sumatrana to me, colouring anyways.That Truncata is a peach colour and the shape of that peristome is as lol has said is almost hypnotic.
Bye for now Julian

fantastic aptera and truncata!

Marvellous.Well done Tony!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Tony,
Your plants are always great looking.

Some truely great plants there Tony
smile.gif
smile.gif

Thats what I like about Neps as they get bigger and more mature they just keep on getting more desirable and stunning!!
Only snag they take up even more space
smile_k_ani_32.gif

cheers

bill

DANG! and, well, DANG again! Great photos, beautiful plants, as always.

Oh, you should have more beer more often!

Great photos, Tony.  The N. truncata peristome close up is really spectacular.  Would be a great B&W subject, as well.

Regards,
PM

Tyfone - N. tomoriana just grows as a typical lowland plant for me. Nothing special or unusual that I have seen.

Hamish - N. aptera seems to be a bit sensitive to high light and prone to leaf spot. They like a well drained mix ie get them out of the supersphag MT uses ASAP. Bit of a bugger to grow.

There are some pretty colored clones N. truncata highland in the TC mix but none of the purple/black which seem to have a very tubby pitcher and much longer petioles and tendrils. The nice ones will be reddish, reddish purple over most of the pitcher but all have the more tubular typical N. truncata shape.

Bill - I could probably fill a greenhouse with just N. truncata highland!! LOL

Dave - beer mmmmmmmm (later though hehe)

I had an email about N. maxima x Trusmadiensis. Phill Mann made the cross originally. Exotica redid it with their stock. And supposedly have redone it again since they only got a few seedlings the first time. I got 2 plants from Phill. The one pictured above is much more N. maxima looking. The other is not. Below is a picture of both together.
NmaxXTrusAPA_APBCR.jpg

Tony

Great plants Tony!
smile.gif
More beer, and more pics please. Cheers!

Nice stuff, Tony! Hmm. I'm not sure how you get any work done at all. I'd spend all day staring at my plants with your collection!

Max

Great plants & photography, Tony!
Since your are so familiar with Malesiana: Due to their large scale production I was wondering if some of their species have always the same gender? In short can you say: Species xyz ordered from Malesiana is (so far) a female? If so, do you have examples?
Volker
PS: I like females!
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks for the comments ;>

I wish it was so simple Volker! Now I have to think back and 1. Remember what has flowered. 2. Remember where it came from! hehe

In all honesty I have a bad habit of not keeping many plants around for myself. So odds I will flower a particular plant are slim as the biggest usually get sold. When I have more space I would like to build up just a collection for myself! Right now I am in a holding pattern with space and able to keep things rotating but that doesn't leave much for allowing a bunch of plants to grow to their full potential.

I can also add that in only a handful of cases can I say with certainty that a particular plant from so and so will all be the same clone. Most of the big producers have more than one clone. Some like BExotics will single out a few here and there if they are worthy. Or if it is an oddball thing that popped up luckily like N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana so there only ever was just one clone.

I would think your best bet would be to contact the producer directly and ask if a particular species is one clone or more and if so, how many more. Or if they have a clone of known sex available. When I propagate plants from cutting I always include the sex info on the label if known. One of my goals is to have known sex cultivars available for most things. hmm should female clones be worth more???
smile_m_32.gif

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Aug. 15 2005,8:06)]hmm should female clones be worth more???
smile_m_32.gif
Society would have you believe so.

Volker, the other problem is that few vendors identify individual clones and sell them as individual clones. When you buy plants from Borneo Exotics or Malesiana, most of the time the most you know is that the plants come from a line of X number of clones. But you don't know which ones.

So you can buy, say, 50 plants and be told that they had 24 clones in culture. But there's no way of telling whether your 50 plants are a mixture of 12 of those clones, or just of one clone. And you don't know which plant is which clone. The only time you get named clones is when they have selected a specific individual clone for a certain trait and produced it as a line. I know that Wistuba sells particular labelled clones of certain species, but there is generally only 2 or 3 clones available.

I'm very obsessive about record keeping due to my interest in conservation. I keep a spreadsheet of all of my plants species name, varietal/location details, vendor, sex, whether plants are from TC, seed or cutting, clone ID, purchase date, etc etc. Once they've flowered, I can then take cuttings and supply them with as full a history as possible. It's a bit obsessive, but it keeps me from getting into even more mischief...

Back