What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.ampullaria

pitchers from the same plant ,from different plant and in the same location or different location show different colors variation.Could this be due to different growth rate at different time of year affected by ph level, due to level of rainfall during wet/dry season, and soil type.
Generally unfertile white sandy soil tend to produce colorful and larger pitcher.( the rafflesiana ,photo no 1 ,sandy soil lower part of pix is noticeable.

Photo no. 2shows the burnt portion of land due to shifting cultivation resulting in red pictures?

redN.jpg
8cbd4ce0.jpg
N.jpg

65e9bcfd.jpg

ampullariaredperistome.jpg

ec7f5985.jpg

sorry guys/girls for the different image sizes,am still learning.
mad.gif

Superb !

Where did you take the second picture, with red pitchers and yellow peristome ! and the one with red peristome and spotted pitchers ?

Those forms are very nice !

Regads.

well, top row 2nd and 3rd,and middle 4th are taken by the roadside of Jalan Rayang,Padawan(the road leading to Dunud Longhouse).This is an isolated old gravel mountain road leading to Tebudu border town near Kalimantan Indonesia.

The last two were taken at Matang forest,somewhat eight miles from Kuching.It was a surprise and least expected place as nearby were farm houses and vegetable gardens.:laugh:

Robert,
We have really enjoyed seeing your excellent photos of Nepenthes in habitat. We like that you photograph the lowland species. Those are some beautiful ampullaria! Would very much like to know the conditions where they are growing. Some of them look like full sun.

Trent,photos of ampullaria are all taken in the morning.They flourishes in the open ground previously burn by shifting cultivators.Now left fallow.Bushes,trees dreepers andnepenthes started to grow and reclaim the whole placePhoto no.2 top row shows the charcoalblack ground burnt twigs and branches still visible.The soil condition is white sandy,plants also have shallow roots

Through physical observation am comparing this place and an undisturbed forest floors where there is no human activities.Middle 4th photo shows the same plant possesing varying coloration due to differing ph level 'cos of burning activities? Third photo top row aerial ampullaria was also taken within the same area as 2nd and 4th photo.

The last 2 photo were taken in totally different location under tree shades
.The soil here is dark brown lots of dead leaves.Hardly any sunlight except for intermittent lights broken through the leaves.while i was photographying 2 of my companion used reflectors to direct light on the pitchers,hence the warn color.Hope that explain:laugh:

It's just really nice !

As i can see, is there are many forms we don't yet cultivate !
Look at the picture 4, an ampullaria with red pitchers and yellow/white peristome !
A new one !

Do the sand can " play " a part in those colours ?

Lovely !

That rafflesiana is spectacular
smile_k_ani_32.gif
! Oh, and the ampullarias too
biggrin.gif

Fantastic photos, shows how much variation can occur in one species, and even in a small area. Just imagine how many different variants there are in ampullaria's growing range, how few, relatively, we have in cultivation, and how many have been lost from habitat destruction (and more to disappear, I'm sure). One of the reasons I go for species cultivation over hybrids.

I just received a cutting of this plant. It is a far cry from the beautiful pictures above! When mine grows up, I want it took look just like yours!

Jim,as i dont grow neps,but since your years of cultivation using green house,am wondering the rate of achieving yellow/red /green or light brown pitchers as growers seem to prefers.

...the forest..my garden...i take photos...:)

Fantastic!
I didn't see any N. ampullaria like these but just green and spotted forms when I was in Matang last year.
smile_l_32.gif

hi Chanrit glad to know u were here.Try next time MATANG WILDLIFE CENTRE(in case u come back ):D take the PITCHER TRAIL(catalogue map is available on request) and you will not miss on the forest floor and tree branches along the trek groups of ampullaria resettes.That is where you take your rest and search nearby the forest lots of williams red,washington red ampullaria,rafflesia "gigantea",stenophylla.

There are seven types of nepenthes in Matang wildlife centre(stated in the catalogue)It is a huge area next to the Kubah National Park.As a visitor it is best take a guide.They take you to the spot without you wasting time searching.Hope that helps:D

Back