Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: N. x burbidgeae x edwardsiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Ch'ien Lee @ Aug. 28 2005,11:56)]Bill,

Referring to your second photo, this could quite likely be a pure N. burbidgeae that accidentally got mixed in with the hybrid when they were sold. You should be able to verify this when the plant gets larger.

Best regards,
    Ch'ien
    Oh that would be disappointing if that turns out to be the case [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] It took me 7 months to wean this remaining one back to health. I wonder whats MT policy is over mixups?
    They would only replace the ones that died if I did a further order...

cheers

bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very interesting thatso much variation has occurred from a single clone. I have seen EP's clone that is very red, and while most of my clones are more speckled, one of them is very deep red-maroon, (I wish it was Alisaputrana) with few speckles.

BTW, has Alisaputrana been collected (again by accident) ever?

Thanks Ch'ien and everyone for sharing their thoughts!

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not quite so surprised given some of the experiences I've had with Nepenthes hybrids and species putting out different looking pitchers are various stages in their life. Hybrids seem to be particularly prone to this, just look at how much x Dyeriana lowers can morph on the one plant. I doubt we have a full understanding of how much temperatures, day length, micronutrients, potting medium etc have on these plants. With hybrids, you get the extra complexity of two different sets of genes playing themselves out, and different genes may be set off by environmental factors.

As for x Alisaputrana, I am not aware of anyone with it in cultivation, there are only 4 legal clones of rajah in cultivation, although I know of quite a few plants from illegally collected seed. If someone has it, they're most likely to keep quiet about it as they would be admitting to having a plant from illegal seed.

But I have a feeling it will be in culture in the not too distant future. I know of two growers in Australia with flowering rajah. There must be quite a number of mature rajah in cultivation these days. I'm not so sure of burbidgeae, the only flowering sized plants I'm aware of are in Europe, although a couple of the plants I've seen here must be very close to climbing. If we can get hold of a female burbidgeae in flower (both rajah are males), then it should be easy to get seed.

Hamish
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not try crossing rajah with truncata? that could be an interesting hybrid, both in color and size..Or maybe a merrilliana?
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For starters, the x Alisaputrana hybrid has been in everyone's imagination because pictures of it have been floating around for decades.

As for horticultural hybrids, well it's always a matter of what is in flower at the time of the opposite gender. Nepenthes pollen does not store well at all in my experience, so you really need a male and female in flower at the same time, or a male slightly before hand. So hybrids are made with whatever is available at the time. I haven't heard what the rajah that flowered last year was crossed with (if anything at all), but I'm sure the seedlings will start floating around the market next year sometime.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123