Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orchid fertilizer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trent @ Aug. 23 2005,3:32)]Right now, I'm considering the addition of a non-sulfate iron to all laterite growing species and hybrids...mainly the Neps from NE. Mindanao. Anybody have experience with doing this?
    Hi Trent,

I've made some expirments with laterite for aquarium supply with some of my plants. I didn't make an A/B comparison so I can't really tell if they really profited from the laterite but none of the plants tested suffered from this treatement. My impression was that plants which lacked iron and some other minerals (yellowish leafes) got much greener leafes after the treatement. The problem with yellowish leafes only occurs on those plants which grow in the same soil without repotting for many years. Newly repotted plants get enough nutrients from the soil mix I'm using and so colour up nicely.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I'm not very daring or experimental, I'm with Tony on this one add prefer to add food (insects) into the pitchers as nature intended.

Some species at least for me respond very well to feeding particularly N.ephippiata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I'm not very daring or experimental, I'm with Tony on this one and prefer to add food (insects) into the pitchers as nature intended.

Some species at least for me respond very well to feeding particularly N.ephippiata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim,
    Thanks for the input. I've investigated the aquarium laterite, but the stuff is expensive! Our merrilliana and merilliata plants (several) are huge and in large pots. It would take hundreds of dollars worth of laterite even if used as 25-30 percent of the media. Thought I could solve the problem by approaching it another way: supplement existing medium to simulate lateritic conditions, which would be to add iron and other trace minerals, without adjusting the ph.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though plants are fertilized regularly, they often catch abundant insects regardless of the nutrient uptake. But more so than just nitrogen, Nepenthes require their mineral uptake (i.e laterite adding iron, ultramafic for magnesium, et al, and limestone for calcium, etc.) these minerals are found in many fertilizers and when given at a regular pace, plants can utilize what is abundant in nature, but so limited in artifical media and bugs alone. Nepenthes still captures insects in the wild, but are always exposed to these mineral toxicities which have benefitted them to survive in competition with other plants being dwarfed by these same minerals.

So if you don't fertilize ever, it would be like removing these basic minerals which are common in fertilizers and in soluble form made accessible to plants.

Therefore insect artificial feeding is insufficient! Fertilizing is a complete meal!

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12