Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Full sun

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, and I would have thought that having already been acclimated to being outside, a 3' move wouldn't have been that radical for them. But maybe it was.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RainforestGuy,
    Your ventrata looks very happy.

When I have to cut my ventrata, again, I think I'm going to keep one and try it outside in full sun, spring through fall.
    I have been growing mine as a windowsill plant for 2 years now. What I have noticed is in the early spring it gets an explosion of pitchers. Then again in late summer it gets another explosion of pitchers (started a few weeks ago). Very few if any pitchers are made during the late spring and mid summer.
    I do not know if it typically grows like that or if it is because early spring and late summer the plant is getting longer hours of direct sunlight then the other times.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full Sun eh? I was always under the impression that they don't like full sun and get burned up. I got mine sitting right under my tree. Gets great morning sun, and filtered sun throughout the day.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant had been accidentally moved from a shaded location under a tree to full sun. Most of the original leaves burned black. I trimmed it and it came back quick and abundant. Aparently with more light, every node produces a shoot that develops into a true plant this is what you are seeing now. Its still rather short in comparison to what it should be on a large matured plant. In time it will. Will retake more photos of this plant to show how rapidly it grew since then.

I think the pitchers are longer lasting in full sun. Its currently around 90's now and even hotter against the cement.

M
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't grow a ventrata outdoors here in San Francisco. Believe me, I tried, and am still trying. The plant is not "dead", but I haven't seen a pitcher in 6 months, and it's not happy at all. It's just too cold! All dang summer long, it's been cold and foggy. Among the worst I've ever seen, and I've been here 17 years. N. rajah, on the other hand, is happy as a clam. Both in full sun once it hits about 1:00pm, and to the extent there is any sun.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine in full sun once they get big enough for 6" pots. Here's a link to some photos from my site http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.c...gnepenthes.htm

Even my shadecloth guys get full sun exposure as well. It does vary from species to species, hybrid to hybrid as to what plant will do better. I definitely scorched a veitchii in full sun for example, but most of my plants benefit from the exposure. There are many variables in play depending on your demographics: humidity, exposure time, temperture all play a role. My plants have taken 90's with our Santa Ana winds with 20% humidity for several days no problem as long as the soil stayed moist. A good way to introduce them outdoors is to do it gradually. Give 'em morning sun when it isn't too intense for a few weeks or so. Then you can acclimate them to full sun once they get used to the brighter light and lower humidity. I've thrown many of my Neps directly into full sun that have done fine, but I wouldn't recommend that without experimentation. Depending on the plant, pitcher loss is normal. Neps with more papery traps dry up for a while until the plant adjusts and then goes about its business as normal. Another big factor is where the plant was grown. I've introduced plants outdoors (lowlanders) because they were grown in somewhat similar conditions to mine by the vendor. Tony does a great job with his plants this way. You can tell they are well hardened off ready for me to abuse! I figure he's killed more than me! (No offense Tony! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] But other plants that haven't been hardened off well have suffered. So if the plant isn't your prized Trusmadiensis or edwardsiana and can afford to experiment, go for it gradually. I think you'll be really amazed at the results.

Good growin'
    Joel
    Nepenthes Around the House.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (truncata1 @ Aug. 21 2005,11:40)]Anyone else put their nepenthes outdoors in full sun?. This seemed to be the only thing that revived my Home Depot rescue plant. Well that and the 80% humidity we have had all summer here. My soil mix repot for this poor neglected plant, consists of lava rock, lfs, and and peat moss. 25$ for a once half dead plant, is a bit of a rip-off but atleast its not doomed to a slow death right?. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]
    hi i grow my nepenthes in full sun. my copelandii and my sanguinea are the two

My Nepenthes Collection!
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants. I WANT SOME BIG PITCHERS!!! LOL Seems my two are small pitshered plants. Well atleast not huge pitchered. I will sure be ready to get off plant restriction. LOL Nice plants again BTW.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast