Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Full sun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on the plant and where you are. I assume Phoenix growers don't keep their Neps outdoors in full sun and, even here with relatively weak CT sun, I see quite a variation among my very similar Neps.

My N. fusca 'Sarawak' is in the sunniest place I have and thrives with direct sun from late morning through the end of the day. My N. ventricosa didn't like that spot as much, but is happy nearby where it gets sun beginning slightly after noon. My N. maxima gets its first sun a little after that. Its leaves that grew outside can take even more sun, but the leaves that grew during its many months indoors fade badly with more sun. So halfday sun seems a good compromise for it. My other Neps, other than the khasiana, maybe, don't show the same difference between indoor and outdoor leaves. The N. sanguinea doesn't like even the halfday light mid summer, but seems content with dappled sun during mid summer and more direct sun as fall approaches. My N. khasiana turns purple with any significant sun, so gets dappled light the whole time it's outside. My N. sibuyaensis and faizaliana are too new for me to have figured them out yet. But the sib is already tolerating more sun than the sanguinea will likely join the high light plants. Your mileage may vary.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have to keep this baby out ouf full sun for sure!

its a rajah!
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here are the ones i do keep in full sun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only two highlanders

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pictures aren't showing up for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if I were to move my N. Ventricosa from under a tree to fullsun if that will help it produce some pitchers? Right now it's only growing and vining up. No pitchers. I understand it could take months and months for pitchers to develop but this Fullsun theory is interesting. I thought Neps/Tropical plants could not withstand fullsun, and their foilage would burn and eventually kill the plant? I'm from Ohio so it's not like Arizona, we got humidity and the temps don't get past 90's usually. So I wonder if sticking my Ventricosa outside in the fullsun with my other CP's if it'll benefit...guess there's only one way to find out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since reading this thread last week I moved my sickly N. ventricosa "red" outside on my porch where it gets a good dose of morning sun. Im happy to report that even the 101* day we had 2 days ago didnt kill it and it appears that it has intentions on pitchering for me for the first time in months. Perhaps the low humidity we get here is not as severe as I had at first believed.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acclimate your plant slowly to full sun. Don't just move it from shade to full sun. Give it an hour of morning sun the first week. Two hours the second week. Try to avoid the strong sunlight from noon to 3 until it has adapted to morning/evening sun. You will see your leaves turing red from too much sun. a light overlay of red over the green leaf is what you are looking for. Too much sun will burn the leaf and it will die.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast