What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full sun

The pictures aren't showing up for me.

I wonder if I were to move my N. Ventricosa from under a tree to fullsun if that will help it produce some pitchers? Right now it's only growing and vining up. No pitchers. I understand it could take months and months for pitchers to develop but this Fullsun theory is interesting. I thought Neps/Tropical plants could not withstand fullsun, and their foilage would burn and eventually kill the plant? I'm from Ohio so it's not like Arizona, we got humidity and the temps don't get past 90's usually. So I wonder if sticking my Ventricosa outside in the fullsun with my other CP's if it'll benefit...guess there's only one way to find out
smile.gif

Since reading this thread last week I moved my sickly N. ventricosa "red" outside on my porch where it gets a good dose of morning sun. Im happy to report that even the 101* day we had 2 days ago didnt kill it and it appears that it has intentions on pitchering for me for the first time in months. Perhaps the low humidity we get here is not as severe as I had at first believed.

Cheers
Steve

Acclimate your plant slowly to full sun. Don't just move it from shade to full sun. Give it an hour of morning sun the first week. Two hours the second week. Try to avoid the strong sunlight from noon to 3 until it has adapted to morning/evening sun. You will see your leaves turing red from too much sun. a light overlay of red over the green leaf is what you are looking for. Too much sun will burn the leaf and it will die.

I can attest to what was just said. Good advice above!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Sep. 02 2005,4:29)]Acclimate your plant slowly to full sun. Don't just move it from shade to full sun. Give it an hour of morning sun the first week. Two hours the second week. Try to avoid the strong sunlight from noon to 3 until it has adapted to morning/evening sun. You will see your leaves turing red from too much sun. a light overlay of red over the green leaf is what you are looking for. Too much sun will burn the leaf and it will die.
Thanks for the advice. I've been growing my Ventricosa cutting from C3P0 for about 2 months now outside. It was getting complete morning sun under the tree and shaded protection from the afternoon. I've noticed some red to my Ventricosa along the stem of the plant. The leaves are solid green and healthy looking. So I assume the 2 months outside has adjusted it plenty?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Sep. 02 2005,1:29)]Acclimate your plant slowly to full sun. Don't just move it from shade to full sun.
My plant went from a window where it got about 2 hours of afternoon sun to a place where it gets about 3 hours of morning sun. The main difference is that when it was indoors it sat directly in the path of the airflow from the swamp cooler (which I thought it would enjoy the extra humidity). Now it gets whatever Ma Nature throws at it. Our daytime humidity can be quite low but the evenings and overnight seem to be exactly what it wants. Since moving it outside it is definately starting to inflate 2 pitchers. I just hope that the main vine will rebound for me now.

If this works out I am thinking about trying a couple other of my neps that have been growing poorly for me lately... most notably my N. mcfarlanei x ventricosa, this plant has never pitchered in my care
smile_h_32.gif

Steve

im gonna be growing this one in full sun also

834N_Ventricosa_6_1_.jpg

834N_Ventricosa_5_1_-med.jpg

You have very nice plants fc! I wish I had half as many cool Nepenthes as you
cool.gif

i dont have many great plants but some day i will. these are just easy plants, just wait till i get difficult plants and if i do get to grow them out large then you can say i got great plants

so you know something LLeopardGGecko, i got now a total of 8 nepenthes that get full sun now!

Back