What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes edwardsiana

I'm new to the forum, so I hope this hasn't been discussed recently.  Anyway, I have read a couple of "rumors" that N. edwardsiana is being propogated and will be available "soon", whatever that means.

Are any of you out there able to confirm or deny the "rumors"?

Thank you,
KPG

I've done some checking, and I can confirm that it won't be available from any known and legal sources. As you may or may not be aware, edwardsiana grows in a restricted area, known as the Marai Parai, and it is illegal to collect seed. It can only be done with a permit from the Mt Kinabalu Parks Authority. They basically won't give permits to anyone, especially commercial institutions. So you won't be seeing edwardsiana (at least legally obtained material) for many, many years.

Even though this is true, I have seen posts with small plants of N. edwardsiana around. I believe that collected seed has become available to ease tension for illegal contraband plants. If seedlings and tc were made available, then perhaps wild collected plants would be ignored in anticipation for healthier, happier seed-grown material.

This has also been done with N. rajah to ease tension for poaching of wild plants.

Michael

Michael, there are some edwardsiana in cultivation, but many of the pics I've seen have been of people who have visited Malesiana's nursery, where they have some legal plants.

I've seen only a few photos of N. edwardsiana and 1 plant in person, so its pretty rare. I know it is in the US, but in select locations. SO keep sitting on your hands like I am.
smile_m_32.gif

Thank you to all for the information. Sounds like I'll have to be very patient...

KPG

Its like N. rajah, it used to be a rare find, now you can purchase larger seed/tc origin plants. So many species are becoming available to the trade, Initially its a limited number, then its too common.

Natural hybrids like N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana reminds us that they're not that far a grasp away from owning the real thing. It would be rather amusing if collected seed from N. edwardsiana turned out to be natural hybrids, with what else? "N. burbudgeae!"

Michael

Back