What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. murudensis/n. tentaculata?

Hi
I got a N. murudensis from BE in 2003. It has been a quite slow grower producing a thin woody stem and starting to vine. Until recently it has failed to pitcher until it produced two in a row:
N.%20murudensis.jpg

There has been some suggestion that all of these clones from BE are in fact N. tentaculata. I noticed neither of these pitchers displayed any hairs on the lid, although that be because they are so young.
Shortly after that picture was taken the woody stem appeared to die off halfway up.
confused.gif

I trimmed off the top and am treating it as a cutting. I also repotted the bottom half after checking its roots, which looked ok. That was 8 weeks ago. There is no sign of life from any of the buds on the remaing stem where new growth might appear. Are these species amongst the Nepenthes that are shy to resprout?
Its too early to tell if the cutting has taken...

cheers

bill

it took 8 weeks or so for a node to errupt on one of my N. veitchii cuttings. as long as it looks alive i would have hope.

Hi Bill,

Not sure about the tentaculata/murudnesis query. I have a BE murudensis and its painfully slow to grow as well, but my none BE tentaculata grow very quickly with the expected charactersitics.

Regarding cuttings from woody stems, I chopped a 3ft glabrata back about 6-7 weeks ago that had a very woody stem (there were no obvious growth buds appearing at the time). I struck seven cuttings including the gorwing tip and now every single cutting has has an erupted growth bud at each node with approx 1-2cm of a new growth tip appearing. In contrast at the same time I chopped back a similar sized woody stemed N.inermis that had small growth buds visible, but to date none of them have opened.

I have also had very good success with woody stemed aristolochoides.

Simon

From what I understand, the BE murudensis turned out to be tentaculata. Rob should be able to confirm or deny this when he gets back from the highland nursery.

I think so too. I bought a murudensis from Tony and as it grew out he confirmed it was a tentaculata. Tony eventually fixed the problem to his credit that he didn't have to. So yeah, I've had that problem too. I have a link from my website on the tentaculata species page that shows what my "murudensis" / tentaculata looks like.

Thought the cutting situation was interesting. Heard inermis is extremely finicky when it comes to cutting back. I've had pretty bad luck with aristo as well. Another grower told me his aristo cuttings were tricky too. So that surprises me you're having such good luck. Maybe there's hope down the road!!

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

This is the BE murudensis I bought last year (cheers, Simon) but oddly enough, I think it looks a bit closer to tentaculata than Bill's plant. As people have written, it's a very slow grower.

murudensis.jpg

A bit of difference there,heres my Tentaculata for a comparison
tent.jpg

Bye for now  Julian

Having just checked back through my records, I have my muluensis listed as being grown from seed, which might explain the variation we're seeing here.

Oh boy..

Hmm well I got a few N. murudensis from BExotics back in June '04.  Prior to that I have had a few in the greenhouse from other sources.  Here are a bunch of pics for comparison.
Here is a picture of the BE plant
pitcher front view
NmurBEfront.jpg

side view
NmurBEside.jpg

leaf
NmurBEleaf.jpg

As for the other plants from Wistuba and MT..
Wistuba
leaf
NmurAWleaf.jpg

close up of the leaf showing some hairs on the upper surface
NmurAWleafclose.jpg

MT pitcher
NmurMT.jpg

One other pitcher shot from a clone here in the US
NmurudensisCR.jpg

All the pitchers I could find, none had any hairs on the lid.  They all had that blotchy purple patchs on the peristome.  The leaves all had more rounded tips and had that dull appearance with the fine hairs.
My BE plant does not show these features.  Based on the other clones I have and info from books by C. Clarke etc. I am confident my nonBE clones are correctly labelled. I am also fairly confident that my BE clone is N. tentaculata. Now, it may be possible that Rob has had plants from different sources. The past couple years he has been changing cultures from their original source.

Tony

Hi
My N. muluensis came from BE in September 2003. It was marked Clone Mur-1. Its leaves resembled Wistubas ones with those surface hairs. Also one of its only other pitchers did develop that striping that the MT clone shows. So perhaps those early clones from BE were correctly labelled?
Now if only it will regrow??

cheers

bill

Back