Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. murudensis/n. tentaculata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I got a N. murudensis from BE in 2003. It has been a quite slow grower producing a thin woody stem and starting to vine. Until recently it has failed to pitcher until it produced two in a row:

There has been some suggestion that all of these clones from BE are in fact N. tentaculata. I noticed neither of these pitchers displayed any hairs on the lid, although that be because they are so young.
    Shortly after that picture was taken the woody stem appeared to die off halfway up. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    I trimmed off the top and am treating it as a cutting. I also repotted the bottom half after checking its roots, which looked ok. That was 8 weeks ago. There is no sign of life from any of the buds on the remaing stem where new growth might appear. Are these species amongst the Nepenthes that are shy to resprout?
    Its too early to tell if the cutting has taken...

cheers

bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it took 8 weeks or so for a node to errupt on one of my N. veitchii cuttings. as long as it looks alive i would have hope.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill,

Not sure about the tentaculata/murudnesis query. I have a BE murudensis and its painfully slow to grow as well, but my none BE tentaculata grow very quickly with the expected charactersitics.

Regarding cuttings from woody stems, I chopped a 3ft glabrata back about 6-7 weeks ago that had a very woody stem (there were no obvious growth buds appearing at the time). I struck seven cuttings including the gorwing tip and now every single cutting has has an erupted growth bud at each node with approx 1-2cm of a new growth tip appearing. In contrast at the same time I chopped back a similar sized woody stemed N.inermis that had small growth buds visible, but to date none of them have opened.

I have also had very good success with woody stemed aristolochoides.

Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand, the BE murudensis turned out to be tentaculata. Rob should be able to confirm or deny this when he gets back from the highland nursery.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so too. I bought a murudensis from Tony and as it grew out he confirmed it was a tentaculata. Tony eventually fixed the problem to his credit that he didn't have to. So yeah, I've had that problem too. I have a link from my website on the tentaculata species page that shows what my "murudensis" / tentaculata looks like.

Thought the cutting situation was interesting. Heard inermis is extremely finicky when it comes to cutting back. I've had pretty bad luck with aristo as well. Another grower told me his aristo cuttings were tricky too. So that surprises me you're having such good luck. Maybe there's hope down the road!!

Joel
    Nepenthes Around the House

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the BE murudensis I bought last year (cheers, Simon) but oddly enough, I think it looks a bit closer to tentaculata than Bill's plant. As people have written, it's a very slow grower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of difference there,heres my Tentaculata for a comparison

Bye for now Julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just checked back through my records, I have my muluensis listed as being grown from seed, which might explain the variation we're seeing here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast