Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N.burbigae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your temps and humidity are perfect. How long ago was the root rot problem? We find albos like dryer than normal conditions at the roots and lots of humidity. They drink the air [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Are the lids not "popping", or they pop but don't open very far?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it has been through some rough times. It can take 6months+ in some cases to grow and produce pitchers properly after such an incident.

If we were talking about a happy healthy vigorous plant I would say next thing to humidity causing problems with pitchers is light level. What kind of light and how much is it getting? I suspect it is not bright enough.

btw root problems will often exhibit as symptoms of water stress in a plant. Lids not forming or opening properly is a major result of water stress.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly what I was leading to. Sounds like it's stressing because the root system has not fully recovered. Often this results in the pitcher popping, but the lid is weak and never really lifts up off the peristome. If the lid never pops, or is undersized, it could be like a light issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say to at least try. When I first started nepenthes, I was told this and that. I had to try for myself. EVERY person (orchid growers are liars) I talked with said that nepenthes would NOT thrive in Hawaii. I was also told that growers in high elevations who tried to even grow cymbidums couldn't grow any of the intermediate types.
    During the summer, its very hot, sticky and humid. The really coole growers are at a standstill. N. hamata has many new leaves forming with potential tips, but has not passed the tendril stage. N. lowii is growing a lot slower. Other species such as N. maxima, N. ventricosa, sibuyanensis, eymae, and ampullarias, bicalcaratas, rafflesianas, etc. are vining, sending up many shoots and new leaves and attractive pitchers. During the cooler months (late December through early April) plants like N. bicalcarata would seem to be in a suspended animation while N. hamata, macrophyllas and lowii's are just growing like mad!
    I believe its the timing of microclimates and avoiding or excellerating the summer heat that makes something thrive or grow extra fast. Plus I fertilize them regularly, so this is my key point in helping a seriously hot situation turn into a positive component for growth.

N. burbidgeae is just a funny plant. The recent acqusition from BE for seed grown stock shows a very high rate of variability. Some have typical green longish leaves, others show maroon tinged leaves, to even leaves with parallel venation like N. rajah. Some the leaves are rounded squat with plants having a whole diameter of eight inches, others have spreads of twenty inches across. On the average, they are slow pitchering now, maybe just one healthy pitcher per plant. But lots of new leaves coming out everywhere!

I wish I could tell you exactly what I'm doing to make these grow well. But I'm surprised myself as well.

But I have had some that upon arrival they just simply sat and then died at the end. So these would be the best survivors of the lot?

I will post more photos as I find time to do a survey on them later.

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was about a 6 weeks ago.
    Ok..Ill have more patience with it and see if it starts popping later..

Which lowii hybrid would grow exellent in my conditions?
    Need all the experience I can get...

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I greatly sugdest lowii x truncata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. lowii x ventricosa grows fast even in my hot climate, so I suggest that this will also grow well for your too!

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thx...I think ill go with the lowii x truncata..its beutiful :P
    How high is your temps rainforest?
    Need all the experience I can get...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast