Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hybrids vs. species

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i collect what interests me. my striped veitchii is hands down my favorite nep out of any. im a sucker for showy peristromes. im short on space and am mainly sticking to pure species that i like such as veitchii and bongso but i have hybrids, my favorite so far is my jacquelineae x izumae. at the moment i am almost exclusivly looking for pure species such as hamata, jacquelineae, aristolochioides ect but like i said im a sucker for showy peristromes and i hear the lowii and veitchii cross calling my name
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Showy peristomes?

How about a N. ventricosa squat x (spectabilis x northiana)?

It gets big and produces lots of pitchers like ventricosa does.

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the most striking is N. spectabilis x veitchii

What do you think?

Michael
    Morticia:\"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, 'We would gladly feast on those who try to subdue us.' Not just pretty words. but words to live by!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael
    Very nice ,the Ventricosa squat x (spectabilis x northiana) looks superb [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Have you got many photos of your whole set up? as id love to have a look around as it were.
    Bye for now Julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with most of these sentiments.
    There isn't really any such thing as a progression - just grow what you like and feel comfortable with (and feels comfortable with you).
    There are clearly some fantastic hybrids - and to my eye many many (vast majority?) anarchically produced mediocre ones which barely if at all improve on the species.
    There is such a range of beautiful, completely different species which have a 'legitimacy' and 'elegance' that I feel hybrids lack. A species evolved to do something, it has function, a proper place, a story. A hybrid is a bit of an artificial indulgence.
    I personally feel a bit of a duty to conservation. I am humbled and amazed at statements of how few of some plants are in the wild, how restricted (and therefore vulnerable) they are, how few people have mature plants and how few clones there are in cultivation. I would hope to be able to in a very small way over the long term contribute to maintaining as variable a population of these plants in cultivation as possible.

Add all that up with being forced to make hard choices and I find myself growing almost exclusively species.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (RainforestGuy @ Sep. 01 2005,1:14)]Although the most striking is N. spectabilis x veitchii

What do you think?

Michael
    It looks like an emmisary, bestowing peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to add one more two cents about the keeping of species, helping keep them alive. Its a wonderful thing to do, but if those responsible in producing massed plants by tissue culture I am only for it IF the clones that are produced (and they're all the same ONE) are productive, have good vigor and are the best reprsentative of that species. I am not so keen on massed produced plants of even a rare species if they are just trash to grow and are very weak. But tissue culturing of nepenthes is not a pick the best clone type of method. Its starting from seed of unknown heritage, vigor or even true to form. If you start with one, you should do as many started as possible, keep them in vitro and grow a few of that clone out to a size that makes it worth propagating or not. Its a tedious process, but what good is it if you are producing thousands and later finding out that its a hybrid, or it has genetic defects or even a poor producer of pitchers!

Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some awesome hybrid pics further fueling my hybrid lust. And yes, I am only considering "exotic" looking hybrids, but I'm still keeping my Gubler hybrids, at least until I run out of space, which won't be any time soon.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12