Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rot ondeveloping leaf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help!!

I just noticed some blackish-brown tissue in the newest developing leaf of my Nepenthes macrophylla. The affected leaf is only about 3/4" long--the plant is only about 7" across.

If the affected area shows signs of growing, I'm tempted to cut the leaf to a very short (less than 1/8") stub. Would this kill the plant? My knowledge of Nepenthes anatomy is poor - not sure if this would remove the apical meristem.

I've been growing Nepenthes for many years -- this is the first time I've seen what appears to be leaf rot.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    KPG [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut off anything that is brown or black, particularly since it is in an artificial environment. I am going by the premise that if it isn't green, it isn't helping with photosynthesis and removing it will relieve stress on the plant and prevent mold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about the still curled up leaf that is emerging? Where is the brown spot located? Near the tip? Near the base? In between?

Can you post a pic?

kind of a sticky decision. If you cut too far down you will probably hit the next leaf curled inside also. And cutting through fresh tissue posses a potential risk for more pathogen infection. If the brown spot doesn't appear to be getting bigger faster or is not down close to the crown of the plant then I would probably leave it and let the leaf grow out.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, the spot is between the base and the tip. I don't hve a web address for posting - I will e-mail photos direct.

Thanks much,
    KPG
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.