What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for my next nepenthes for bday request

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Hello everyone.  I still get confused between highland and lowland Nepenthes.  I know one needs cooler temps and I think those are the Highlands correct?  Any who this question is for those that are more firmiliar with Nepenthes than I.  I am looking for one that I will be able to grow outside in GA during the summer months that gets larger sized pitchers and either an interesting peristoma or fangs or something that makes it interesting and not an ordinary pitcher.  I know there can be color variations, but I would rather go for extra-ordinary features like wings, fangs or a peristoma that looks like it has fangs itself too.  I'm sure most of the interesting ones are those that require cool temps that I cannot give yet, but I may get lucky.  Someones avitar picture looks like the peristoma with black colored fangs onit that would be interesting.  Thanks everyone for some sujestions.  Just remember that it will be growing outdoors during spring and summer with temps intop the 90's to 100's high humidity because heat indexes get up to 115.  THis year has had good rain but thats not always and I can water.  I would like larger sized pitchers with an interesting pitcher. Like I said before Thanks again for some sujestions.

Are you planning to keep it outdoors during the Winter too and just bring it in if a cold snap is coming?  

I think with your Summer temps and long warm growing season  you need to stick with lowland/intermediate species and hybrids.  Maybe some of the other southern growers can help with some they know will do ok outdoors.  Off the top of my head, plants like N. truncata, N. Miranda, N. Ventrata would be quite hardy.  Maybe later I can come up with some that have more interesting features.. although nothing bland with a 4' truncata with 2liter sized pitchers
smile_m_32.gif

What Nepenthes do you have now?

Tony

edit: oh yeah if you were referring to my avatar, that is a close up of N. hamata lower pitcher peristome. Not something that would be happy with the Georgia heat I don't think.

I grow my Nepenthes inside,so I can't help you on that question.I might try a spare lowlander outside next year.

Jerry

Yes Tony your avitar was one I was refuring to. I couldn't remember whose name it was on. I plan on bringing it in during the winter. Atleast moving it into my GH. We get freezing temps here still and I don't think there is any Nep that take freezing is there? A 4 foot Nep with 2 liter sized pitchers is what I;m talking about. LOL I can take size with out special features
smile.gif
Just the size alone is a cool feature. I have a NoID hybred that I will be getting the name for next OS meeting I go to and the other is a little small thing I dont have the name for at the moments. Looks pretty neat but looks to be a small variety.Not that I have anything against the small ones just was looking for ideas on what to buy next or ask for for my Bday coming up. Probaly going to be the later of the two options seeing as how I just wrecked my car yesterday and need to pay the deductable to get it fixxed. No free money at the moment.
confused.gif
If only the slack behinds at ASU would build a ******* parking deck the parking problems would be solved and I wouldnt be rear ending someone because I was looking across the lot for someone to get into their car.

ick sorry about the car ;/

Oh I thought of another which would be quite durable. N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae) Sometimes will just see it refered to as clip1 clone. Some places still sell it as N. clipeata too
smile_h_32.gif

Your correct you wouldn't want to leave them outside if it is going down much below the mid 40s. Some of the other hybrids like N. Miranda would probably do quite well also.

Thanks for the info. I will print this ans save it for later when I start sending hints out to my mother. Bday is in Nov. LOL

Back