What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To hang or not to hang...?

Hi Folks,

I just received a box o' Neps from Sunbelle Exotics: a rafflesiana #10, a Judith Finn and a maxima Borone.

Two of them are in baggies, so I have to decide on hanging pots or not. Let me preface this by saying I'd *really* prefer to hang them, as I don't have much room, especially for the bigger pots these bad boys will require.

I have read in other threads that hanging will result in smaller or no pitchers for some species. Are any of them these three? Please say no.

On a side note, I got 2 Judith Finns that are 6" in diameter. Can they comfortably share one pot? If so, how big would you say?

Thanks!

-N

First of all, I would say no to baskets as my biggest pitchering plants are in standard pots. But if space is a problem, then hang them. As for the N. Judith Finn's, they get large spreading leaves that may overlap each other's crowns and may hinder growth. Besides you will want to divide them later when they start to get overgrown, so eliminate the hassle for later and just keep them apart!

M

Some species will be better for hanging than others. I generally don't like hanging lowlanders, as they often like more humid air and moist media, which will be reduced by hanging. Rafflesiana should do all right, but pitchers may be smaller since they will be freely hanging. Judith finn should do fine, and maxima is perfect for hanging.

Back