What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wanna grow highlanders!

I've been checking out E-Bay and there are some AWSOME Nep's for sale there. But they are all highlanders. I have an unknown Nep growing great outside now but I don't know if it's a high or lowland plant. I assumed it's a lowlander because temps around here are in the low to mid 90's in the daytime and low to mid 70's at night. Humidity is crazy low this time of year around 20-30% with wierd spikes of 70-80% at night. It took my Nep about 6 months to acclimate and it's finally makeing a pitcher. I wanna know if there are any tricks to getting a highlander to acclimate to this climate. Thanks guys.

-Rail

Some highlanders are tolerant of lowland conditions, I only know a few. N. x judith finn, ventricosa, and ventricosa x alata.

put them outside like i do if you have LB CA conditions!

FC, so you have highlanders outside in 90 degree weather? Do they grow well?

-Rail

yes i do! i have only 7 highlanders in full sun! but they are sorta big plants. small plants will burn up if not accustom to full sun.  i have 3 others outside, truncata, sibuyanensis, and a rajah that get full sun but in the after noon! i have thoes under a shade cloth to prevent direct sun @ noon!

I have N. ventricosa, N. ventrata, N. sanguinea, N. truncata X aristochloides, N. muluensis X lowii, and some unidentified nep hybrids growing outside year round. All are thriving. I live in San Diego, Ca. A month ago the temps were getting into the high 90's, with nighttime temps in the 60's. Now the temps are starting to get lower. It's only 75 today.

i just edited my relpy above but if no one got it i got about 8 that get full sun, copelandii, saguinea, 2 maximas, a sp. i dont know the name of, ventricosa, fusca crocker range, and the true faizaliana!  you know something too, you get more colors on the leaves and pitcher as well as a stronger plant!
here are some pics

834N_Copelandii_2_1_-med.jpg

834N_Sanguinea_6_1_.jpg

834N_Tendrils_1_-med.jpg

834N_Sibuyanensis_2_1_.jpg

834N_Maxima_4_1_-med.jpg

Awsome, time to go E-Bay shoppin!!

-Rail

Check feedback on eBay CP sellers before bidding.  How about checking our host's Nepenthes selections at http://exoticgardens.zoovy.com/category/!pftcpnepenthes, since a purchase supports these forums and the company's in Austin?  I traded a N ventrata to someone in Mississippi in 2004 and she told me after its first year that it's thriving there.

I always check up on the sellers. So far everything I have bought from E-Bay has been in great condition and got here quick. The Nep's available here are OK, but the ones on E-Bay are crazy. I have got to get some of those.

-Rail

i got copelandii, sanguinea, and the 2 maximas from ebay and look how they did! just look @ the pics! i was happy in the condition they came in too! but be careful
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I have a maxima( could be a maxima hybrid) and it is in my lowland chamber right now. I was thinking about putting it out there with my highlanders to make room for more lowlanders. One if the unidentified hybrids that was in the lowland chamber was moved outside awhile back and now it's growing bigger, faster, and every leaf has a pitcher.
I have a N. mixta in the lowland chamber also. It easily is my biggest nep. Each leaf is at least 12 inches long. I am thinking about moving it outside also. Has anyone in S. calif. ever grown N. mixta outside?

im pretty sure you can grow this one outside! i live in so. cal if you already didnt know.

Back