Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "dutch" nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone
    I bought another Nepenthes at the city mall today. Any help identifying this hybrid would be nice since I have almost no clue whatsoever as to what its parentage is (I can take a guess at either parent). Sorry for the blurry pics, I used a camera I'm not used to.

The pitchers are approximately 7" tall (to top of peristome), and are a rich dark purple covered in a waxy coating, as can be seen.

The petioles ("leaves") are on average 12" long and 1.5" wide. The first thing they reminded me of was N. albomarginata or N. thorelli petioles (if what I've known as N. thorelli is the true one or not is unclear).

I'll let the pics do the rest of the explaining.

Cheers,

Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was it labeled? That company has a tendancy to use the seed parent as the name of the plant so that might give you a first clue.

I am also inclined to say that albomarginata is one of the parents but I can not help beyond that
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did the label say you ask? The usual - Nepenthes alata (with a picture of N. x ventrata) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is probably N.ventricosa x gracillima
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found it's a cultivar bred my Matthew Soper, N. "Rebecca Soper". So much for the label! Tyfone was spot on.

Cheers,
    Amori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice find Amori

Very pretty color. Probably was N. ramispina though. N. gracilima is very uncommon and ALOT of N. ramispina were labelled as that species for many years.

And for future reference the band in N. albomarginata, as well as the fuzzy leaves, stems and pitchers, will come through fairly noticeably in hybrids for several generations.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be happy to take a cutting from it if/when you can spare one.

That is quite pretty.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] ! That is deffinately the new mass produced hybrid out of europe ventricosa x ramispina/gracillima. I really want one of theese. Hopefuly I'll see one somewhere soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast