What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loving my new hybrids

I'm now hooked on hybrids. All you other people please stick to species and leave those large low-cost hybrids to meeee!!!!
398tom_x_tiv_pit2-med.JPG

tomomi x tiveyi

398sp_x_ve_peri-med.JPG

spectabilis x veitchii

398eym_x_ve_side-med.JPG

eymae x veitchii

You can see some other pictures here:
Neps from Tony

ive got eymae x veitchii, cant wait to get upper off of this guy.

I wish I had room for a few more neps.
I've always liked the big showy peristome of N. veitchii, so that N. spectabilis x veitchii is really nice.

Great pics! I like the tomoni x tiveyi! Hey, I just took a pic of my N. spectabilis x veitchii too! Guess where I got mine from...

N_spectabilis_x_veitchii3.sized.jpg

Capslock

Beautiful pics srduggins. You to Capslock. I have three different Neps. None are so beautiful. Capslock, where did you get him.
posticonspin.gif

Dont we all love tony. Veitchiis and veitchii hybrids will be on my next order.

Nice!  I'm getting N. spectabilis x veitchii from Tony soon.  I've become obsessed with N. veitchii and it's hybrids. I like the flared peristomes and the shoe leather look of the leaf petioles. 

Capslock,

How long have you had N. spectabilis x veitchii?  Your plants always look great.

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Sep. 14 2005,3:30)]All you other people please stick to species and leave those large low-cost hybrids to meeee!!!!
lol

Hey Capslock, since these are all seed grown plants, maybe we can make an f2 hybrid. My neighbor has one as well and I think his is male. Has yours bloomed yet?

Brian, I've had mine for about six months, I'd guess. It's one of those that didn't even slow down growth after Tony sent it out to me.

Steve, it hasn't bloomed yet, but I'll post here when it does! This is a good hybrid, and we should keep it going!

Capslock

Wow, sdrugins you have neighbors with cps? Lucky. Do you live near San Diego? I seek anything crossed with N. veitchii H/L from exotica. It's like the only red/pink pitchered veitchii, and it carries on to the hybrids.

Great photos, srduggins.  Like many out there, I enjoy species and hybrids!

Gotta bunch of those tomomi x veitchii specifically for breeding further veitchii crosses. It will happen!
By the way, no two are alike.

Now I'm thinking I should have gotten more than one of those Tomomi x Tiveyi. The two latest pitchers look pretty different from each other too.
398tom_x_tiv_pit-med.JPG
398tom_x_tiv_pit2-med.JPG

I would love to see some more pictures of this hybrid.

Hey lol, You should know where I live you just sent me a package of Pings. I live about 3 miles west of Disneyland in the middle of Orange County. Actually my highland veitchii from Batu Lawi has pink pitchers. I'll try and post a pic of it, but it is still pretty small.

Heres another hybrid with a "heart"

10af1a15.jpg

By the way, I received a N. Tomomii x Tiveyi direct from Exotica plants and it looked similar to your first photo.  Whe a new pitcher opens, I'll post it.

hey steve!, by looking @ the first pics looks like you potted them up ASAP!
smile_n_32.gif

Bet you couldnt just wait seeing that large box getting there?  shoot... i woulnd either!  by the way did you open the box like a beast?, i mean when i saw the box, it was in shreads! i was like
smile_k_ani_32.gif
what have you done!?!?!

Hey, I have some of Tony's hybrids, too.

My specxspath is actually unhappy for some reason. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong - most of the other highlanders seem happy. It's all wilted and withered.
confused.gif

I recently aquired the spec x vent, which is just about settled in. Looks like it will start to pitcher soon. Can't wait! Love the pics I've seen of them.

Then there's the big mamma - trunc x vent. Went through a not-so-happy period when we had a heat wave ALL SUMMER, but now.....oooooooo! Recently openned a pitcher that it is, oh, 8" or 9" tall. Beautiful striping....the whole nine!

My new spectxspath has its pitchers drying up. I thought it was just travel shock and adjusting to a new environment + age of the pitchers, but maybe this hybrid is pickier than others? All the other new plants are doing fine, no pitchers drying at all.

Pitchers drying is one thing. The N. spathulata x spectabilis has fairly thin walled pitchers. If the plant is wilting and drying like Dave's sounds like then there is a problem.

Dave,
If the leaves are wilting and drying the plant is not getting enough water. Usually means two things if it is a persistant problem and is getting worse and worse over time. Either the mix is dry so there is no water to absorb. Or the mix is moist but the roots are gone, so the plant has nothing to take in water with.

Tony

Back