What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veitchii batu lawi

Someone commented in another thread how much they like the pink pitchered veitchii from Exotica Plants. Here is mine from Batu Lawi, maybe it just gets too much light, but it looks pink to me.
398ve_Batu_Lawi.JPG

Oh wow, that's choice! I wish I had the cash for those fancy Neps.
~Joe

It really wasn't that expensive, just really small, and I had to import it from Australia.

Looks pink to me! Thats gonna be a breeder!

Robin, Steve and Everyone,

We've found that pink pitchers are not uncommon in veitchii. The lowland form from Bau that Malesiana offers from time to time has at least one clone that produces lemonade pink pitchers.  The lowland plants from Exotica were seed raised, so there was variation. Some of them matured to a rich orange color with a reddish coppery peristome. Also, pitchers will vary in color on the same plant!  
Here are two different N. veitchii (f) lowland seedlings from Exotica.  The plant on the left is one of the most colorful N. veitchii's we've ever seen.  The plant on the right is that wonderful golden color.
N.%20veitchii%20f%20colorful%209-5-05.JPG

N.%20veitchii%20F%20green%208-26-05.JPG

N. veitchii is one of Michelle's favorite Nepenthes - we (she) has a collection of different forms.  It's also one of the easiest and fastest Nepenthes for us to grow.

Also, bright light and cool nights will intensify color. That Batu Lawi is nice, Steve.

Thanks for the tips, Trent. I don't really know that much about them, so I love that kind of info. Your plants look great! I can hardly wait until mine gets that big. Wow! its one of the fastest growing for you? What conditions do you grow it in, soil mix, lighting, humidity, fertilizer? Oh, wait, those are lowland, well I have a lowland one too. It almost died, but I was able to revive it. I really need to repot more often.

We have both highland and lowland forms.  Our temps are very lowland in the summer and intermediate in the winter.  We have most of our N. veitchii growing in clay pots.  Our mix is well drained, but still has some shpagnum peat moss for the "dirt" factor.  Our best looking veitchiis are growing in rough conditions with very bright light.  They get misted (wet down) about three to four times a day.  We don't fertilize the veitchiis very often, but when we do, they show dramatic growth.  
Here's one of our largest N. veitchii (lowland)

N.%20veitchii%20lowland%20big%20trap%205-29-05.JPG

They're just beautiful... very hairy, but beautiful.

Very nice Trent & Michelle. Those are great big HAIRY veitchii! I'm sure they are even more impressive in person. Look at the leaf to pitcher size. Really healthy plants. Good sun. I like the pink one, but the yellow is pretty cool too. I have never seen veitchii with spots. Have I? hehe.
Great pics guys. Make em bigger! ;)
Thanks for sharing.
Robin

you can't go wrong with a bau lowland

Chris

MUST.....HAVE....ONE.....NOW!!!!!! AHHH!!!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

hey steve i got the veitchii today! L@@K!! this the veitchii lowlander x highlander! notice the stripping and i hope this one gets the colored body!
834N_Veitchii_3.jpg

834N_Veitchii_2.jpg

834N_Veitchii_4.jpg

I find that mine is bright pink on opening but them fades to yellow quite quicky.
confused.gif
Still a nice plant though.

Perhaps as it matures it will keep its colour more??

cheers

bill

would the l x h of the veitchii make it a more faster grower?

Back