What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sept pics

Hey guys. Got a couple pics to share.
I posted this red hamata I got from Andreas a year or more ago. Well it's all grown up, and has retained the red coloring nicely.
before
redhamm.jpg

after
hamata-red.jpg

here's another to compare it with. same light, conditions, and everything.
ham-bigg.jpg

here is same plant. It starts to make these cool exagerated peristome pitchers just before it starts to climb. It only makes 1 or 2 of these before they change into uppper pitchers. but they look so cool.
killerham.jpg

here is a upper from the same plant
poorhamata.jpg

couple more
vinham.jpg

if you look close you can see nectar bieng exuded from each tooth. Never knew about that.
hamjuice.jpg

here's my latest macrophylla. i already posted this plant, but its much redder now so I'm posting again! This on is from Tony
maccenter.jpg

This one is from Andreas

maco2.jpg

here is a predator. This one used to have a very narrow peristome, but it has changed quite a bit.
predator.jpg

predatorcloseup.jpg

There ya go. Hope ya like em'.

Robin

VERY nice p the hamata's and of course the macro!

The shot of nectar forming at the tips of the claws is a very important discovery for an explanation for why some species have these long claws. I believe your photo proves that these large exaggerated claws are to lure insects over the mouth and putting them to a higher risk of falling into the fluid below! Great work!

Michael

Some very nice plants Robin
smile.gif

Do you know which clone number your "Red" one from Andreas is? The other clone came from where?

Great looking macrophylla's as well. Keep posting the photos...
smile_m_32.gif

cheers

bill

Fantastic photos, thanks for sharing!

-Jc

Very nice.

I think it will not be long till I get some uppers on my hamata, as it started to vine a while ago.

They really are looking great, Robin. Especially like the red hamata from Andreas.

i really need one of those, absolutly stunning photos

Wonderful pics as always, Robin. I need one of those too. Which one? All of them, of course. On the teeth with nectar, I suppose a bug flying and drinking nearby could get tossed by a sudden breeze and impaled on one of them, right?... err maybe not.

Great photos!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I wish I can grow those spectacular highland species.
All of them except N. x Predator couldn't survive here in Bangkok.
smile.gif

Really terrific photos of well grown plants. The nectar on the tooth tips of N. hamata is very intriguing! What else can I say ...Wow!!

Dang, such nice plants
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I can only HOPE to grow plants as nice as those someday!

By the way, I choose to believe that N. hamata is slowly evolving into a plant that can reach out and nab animals with its vines and teeth. None of that "the teeth are for luring bugs over the mouth" crud
smile_m_32.gif

This, THIS, is why I come to this forum.

Capslock
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Michael
I have to agree with you. Unfortunately it destroys my theory that they were for keeping something from escaping like giant flesh rending claws!! Not even really stiff. More flexible that lowers. I watched many flies go round and round on the peristome. feeding from each tooth. They have a hard time getting from tooth to tooth, they keep losing they're footing, and eventually they loose it. Great pastime eh'...lol!

Eh' I think I'll continue deluding myself that they are leathal razor sharp weapons..lol

Bill,
sorry I don't know which clone it is. But I imagine he is still selling the same clone. Get one of each! Just remeber they come about [--------] that big. Fast growers though.
The other one is from Tony. He might be able to tell you where he got it.

elgecko,
yeah I saw that pic of yours takin off. You should have something soon. Im curious how the lower relative humidity will effect pitcher production. Give us some upper pics when you get some. Don't get dissapointed if you only get a couple. I have like 50 tendrils, and only 6 pitchers so far.

Thanks again guys,
glad you like em'
Robin
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Sep. 16 2005,12:49)]None of that "the teeth are for luring bugs over the mouth" crud
smile_m_32.gif
lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Sep. 16 2005,1:16)]This, THIS, is why I come to this forum.

Capslock
smile_n_32.gif
lol.....cant get much better than THIS!!!
smile_n_32.gif

Back