What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So i got this new raff...

lol

BANNED
So I bought this rafflesiana giant cutting a month or two ago, and I was told it was the bau, sarawak form. I was hoping that it would be the same as the sarawak giant I used to have, which was the same as exotica's clone. Its been about two days since its first pitcher opened (quite large for the leaf size), and it looks... I don't know. Just doesn't look quite like what I used to have, but my old plant was grown in lower light, so that could make a dif. This pitcher has fat purple spotted pitchers, on a light green background. The front of the pitcher, and lid are less colorful, and the main part has some blood red flecks mixed with the purple spots (three colors total). The peristome is green like my old one, but more striped than I remember, but has the same purple teeth. The pitcher body seems... dustier (doesn't reflect light much, almost like the color doesnt lie on the surface cells, but is deeper in the tissue). Just not quite what I remember. What do you think? Is this the notorious 'Sarawak Giant' ?

4331446c.jpg

IMAGE_025.jpg

IMAGE_024.jpg

IMAGE_023.jpg

IMAGE_021.jpg

This is a 5.5" pitcher by the way, and the old one I spoke of was 8".

Who cares !
biggrin.gif
that looks awesome
biggrin.gif
Cant wait untill my little baby grows up
biggrin.gif

hi,
I think the best way to tell is from the newly emerging leaves which should be rather reddish
or is your question whether this is sarawak or brunei or whatever other type of giant? ... ... I would like to know too!
thanks

I am very sure it is N.rafflesiana gigantea.I have taken some photos near Bau and Matang area(these 2 area are close to each other).The first photo show a young raff.plant.Notice the shorter leaves,similar to your plant.

raff2.jpg

In another more mature plant in the same vicinity the foliage are much longer,tendrils are also longer.The peristome light greenish/yellow,possessed stripes.

raff1.jpg

Following pix of the upper unopen raff already shows the gigantea forms.

raff3.jpg

..the forest ..my garden...Robert
smile.gif

Love the Raffs great to see them in the wild to
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

Yea, I know its a giant, but which form of giant is the question. I bought it thinking it would be exotica's clone of the bau, sarawak giant. I know someone knows the one I'm talking about. Thanks for the compliments guys. I just love raff giants any way.

**edit**
Thanks a lot for the pics rbjong! The lower pitchers on that raff giant look a lot like what exotica used to have pictured. I guess the bau, sarawak giants have a lot in common, despite the clone. Its just that mine would seem to be more on the purple/reddish side than the purple/brown color noted in the other clones. This might change as my plant gets bigger though.

Whatever it is, it is a great looking raff, lol.
For some reason, I was thinking the Bau giant and Sarawak Giant were two different plants, but as you hinted, Bau is actualy in Sarawak, right?
Forgive my ignorance...
confused.gif

Cheers,

Joe

Back