What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery nep! id please!

I just bought this beauty at the Taipei Flower Market today.

The vendor didn't even know whether it's a high- or lowlander, let alone species or hybrid.
His only comment was "it might either have been poached in the wild or imported from Japan". Great. The latter might explain the price (~US$30), the former its weird condition (just a naked long vine with five leaves and two rather large pitchers. It also has quite long roots.

So....any ideas? The whole plant is about a foot tall. The extremely long tendrils are weird. If it's a hybrid, what could possibly its parentage?
NepenthesxxxAilan0509173.jpg

NepenthesxxxAilan0509174.jpg

NepenthesxxxAilan0509172.jpg

NepenthesxxxAilan0509171.jpg

NepenthesxxxAilan050917.jpg

Hi Hans:

it may possibly be a N. Viking C grade?

Gus

Don't think it's a viking. Looks like one of those 'thorelii'-like plants.

The plant looks very N. sibuyanensis like.. could be a hybrid from AU via Japan?

Too bad you can't confirm if it was imported or not.

Tony

Yea, that looks a lot like a sibuyanensis hybrid. Maybe even a dif clone of belli x sibuyanensis?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Sep. 17 2005,2:34)]Maybe even a dif clone of belli x sibuyanensis?
The plant is way too big not to mention way too old with that long stem with no leaves, since N. bellii x sibuyanensis is a fairly new release. It would probably have to be something released a couple years ago roughly.

Tony

Hi guys,

thanks for all your thoughts!

So far I've been able to gather the following info:

1. It's not a bellii x sib (I have one of those "medusas", and it looks nothing like this)

2. A fellow at the Taiwanese CP forum said it might be a n. merilliana clone from Japan: http://192.192.42.4/~tbgweb....&show=0
He judged it not only from the plant itself, but also from the planting style (tall, floppy, black plastic cup), which is typical for Japanese nep shipments.

Merilliana? Does that sound feasible?

Ladies and germs,

I asked Marcello Catalano of www.nepenthesofthailand.com, and here's his verdict:

That's definitely a
merrilliana or a hybrid with merrilliana. What makes
me think about the hybrid is the reddish color
(merrilliana is usually not so vivid red but more like
brownish) and the elongate shape (merrilliana is more
roundish) but still it could be just one of the many
forms of merrilliana...

Woohoo! I'm gonna be up all night checking the merrilliana hybrids on Bob Z's PhotoFinder....

Hi,
Looks like a N. merrilliana cross with belli. Merrilliana has definite sessil leaf joints and belli has the longer tendrils.
Nice plant.
Truly,
Tom

Ill stick to Mirabilis x belli here to ;)

Hi Hans,
Gotta go with the merrilliana hybrid possibility. It's really nice and once it gets some size and gets established, it'll be a beauty.
The long red tendrils make me think thorelii, but bellii has long tendrils too! The peristome shape makes me lean more towards (thorelii x merrilliana). I believe this hybrid was made years ago in Japan.
It's not pure merrilliana. tendrils aren't right.
T.

Deffinately not pure N. merrilliana. I would lean with Trent towards N. thorelii x merrilliana.

I take back what I said about a possible N. sibuyanensis hybrid. Age of the plant, angle of the pitcher opening are not right for it to be something with N. sibuyanensis. IMO of course!

Tony

Back