What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia blanchettii x microcalyx

I have a U.blanchettii x microcalyx that i recived from www.nepenti.com.
It has flowered for me, but there isnt any pictures on the net of it
I cant take a picture because my digital camera is not good enough to take things that small
Has anyone else got this and have they flowered it?
Dino

P.S
Its got one flowering scape and I can see another one(possibly another two) coming up

I've never hear of this hybrid! It would be very interesting indeed, if it's true -- since they belong to different sections and continents! Does anyone know who made this hybrid?

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fernando Rivadavia @ Sep. 23 2005,7:02)]I've never hear of this hybrid! It would be very interesting indeed, if it's true -- since they belong to different sections and continents! Does anyone know who made this hybrid?

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia
I bought it from http://www.nepenti.pl/news.php?PubKategorieId=2 so I presume that it was made by them

Most likely that U. microcalyx that is not U. microcalyx but some sort of U. livida, was used.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Sep. 24 2005,10:02)]Most likely that U. microcalyx that is not U. microcalyx but some sort of U. livida, was used.
The flower doesnt look anything remotely like U.livida, U. livida is white isnt it? This flower is pink and blanchetii like
This picture has just about the exact colour that is on my plant:
https://ssl.kundenserver.de/karnivo....x_4.jpg

I will try to get a pic of the flower up as soon as possible
Another thing ive noticed that each new flower on the same flower scape has different shape to the one before. I dont know why tis is, but this is the plants first flower scape and its got two new ones coming up, if this is repeated on the two other flower scapes I shall let you all know
Dino

I have my doubts about this plant. For one, all the specimens of U. microcalyx that I ever saw were the same odd-looking clone of U. livida (or at least it keyed out to be U. livida). But definitely not U. microcalyx.

Second, I've never seen a really convincing example of a Utric hybrid in cultivation.

Still, I would be interested to see a photo of the flower. You should also have a look at the traps under a microscope or hand lens. The two species have quite differently shaped traps, and you would probably see some kind of intermediate shape if it was indeed a hybrid.

Dino,
U. livida is not necessarily white.
I should also remark that making Utric hybrids is a bit tough. Odds of actually selfing the pod parent as well are high. Not saying anything about your plant because I haven't seen a photo. I most certainly would love to see one!
But just keep in mind that if it's flowering for the first time that it may be a selfing of U. blanchetii. And that U. microcalyx that is floating around is not U. microcalyx but what appears to be a form of U. livida, or perhaps a U. livida hybrid in itself? But in any case the odds are vastly infavor of this plant having been used. Which is quite an attractive plant in it's own right.

Anyway.. here are some pics:
U. microcaylx that is not microcalyx:
Umicrocalyx_livida.jpg

Typical U. livida:
UlividaMerriwuk.jpg

U. sp Zimbabwe which appears to be a nice form of U. livida. You can see this has more color and shape similar to the 'U. microcalyx'
Uzim2.jpg

Tony

I'll need to see some pics of flowers before I believe this hybrid is true.... I checked www.nepenti.com and they don't have any pics on their website.

As for true Utric hybrids, it seems from what I've heard over the net that species of section Orchidioides will cross among themselves and sometimes even with species of section Iperua. I've seen U.humboldtii X alpina (plants, not flowers). Or maybe it was U.humboldtii X quelchii?

Just for the record, I have seen natural hybrids between U.praelonga and U.hispida in the wild -- in case any of you wanna try this cross in cultivation. ;)

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

Hi,
I emailed NEPENTI. But I recived no reply. I will send another email now.
Maybe yous hould email him aswell?
Well I cant get a pic anytime soon, but its flowering a lot so when I can get a pic it will be a flower
Dino

Back