What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia nelumbifolia  pics

here is my U. nelumbifolia its growing in one of those 5x7 gladware containers with LFS. this is what it looks like right after watering. the water is allowed to evaporite and the lfs to get just slightly damp before watering again.

3cec6151.jpg

77ee506c.jpg

They seem to like being quite wet don't they?

mine likes it wet but doesnt seem to like it wet all the time. it seems to like to be just damp for awhile before i water it again. though it REALLY doesnt like to dry out

I firmly believe that everyone saying these plant should be treated as basically sub-aquatics is wrong.

I know they grow in bromeliads but the nature of a bromeliad is that as the bromeliad grows the Utric is "caught" between the leaves and pushed out. There is less water in the side pockets of the bromeliad leaves. It is more like a moist mulch composed of whatever debri fell into the well and got pushed out with the Utric, not an aquatic type environment at all. And yes I know that they form aerial stolons to re-colonize the interior of the bromeliad but the majority of the plant at any given time is not in the well of the bromeliad.

I have also done some experimenting on my own and found that when an aerial stolon hits the water it will begin to grow traps and leave rapidly but if it continues to stay in the water it inevitably rots. I have taken to training the aerial stolons into pre-prepared pots and letting them establish there.

thats basically what i have observed. a period of being really wet followed by damp but never allowed to dry out all the way like asplundii or alpina but not sitting in water for more than a couple days at a time either.

Hey Pyro,

Your description of the interior microhabitats of bromeliads was perfect!! That's exactly what I have seen with U.nelumbifolia in the wild, they seem to do much better growing in the humid mulch on the outside rosette layers (versus the waterlogged interior).

Take care,
Fernando Rivadavia

Thank you Fernando,

I was finding it dificult to fully articulate my thoughs so I am glad I got the point across.

Back