What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How effective are utricularia?

One of my terrariums has become infested with tiny bugs, far to small for the neps to eat, a few end up as sundew food but they mostly go unchecked. If I were to put a Utricularia in there would it keep down the bugs population? Which one should I choose for Highland Nep. conditions? If that would not kill off the bugs would a pigmy sundew do it? I really don't want to use any kind of insecticide.

-Rail

I don't think a utric would help much.

What kind of bugs are they? Pings seem to catch a lot of fungus gnats.

not all bugs harm things. springtails are your friend
smile.gif

Utrics could help some with fungus gnats. the traps would catch the larva. Pings are good at catching the adults. i dont really have a problem with fungus gnats since i started keeping CPs, Pings, sundews and Neps get most of them i guess.

The bugs don't harm anything. They just crawl around and they seem to eat the green slime on the peat. I have just been noticing more and more of 'em. They are tiny grey bugs that are kinda shiny and they run for cover whenever I mist the terrarium but they don't care if I pick up a piece of peat with them on it. I guess I should leave them alone since they are not hurting anything, but I still want a blatterwort and butterwort. Which ones should I get for highland Nep conditions?

-Rail

most any should adapt to highland conditions i would think. if you can find alpina or asplundii you can actually treat them like a nep instead of a typical Utric. nephrophylla does well. most any of the easy to find terrestrials would be worth a try

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Oct. 17 2005,4:56)]The bugs don't harm anything.  They just crawl around and they seem to eat the green slime on the peat.  I have just been noticing more and more of 'em.  They are tiny grey bugs that are kinda shiny and they run for cover whenever I mist the terrarium but they don't care if I pick up a piece of peat with them on it.  I guess I should leave them alone since they are not hurting anything, but I still want a blatterwort and butterwort.  Which ones should I get for highland Nep conditions?

-Rail
Primufolia (sp?, been too long) is the ping I have in my highland tank. It does well.

Back