Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utricularia rienformis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

im planing to get a utricularia reinformis, is it a good choice for a beginer epiphytic in utricularia?

What are its care requirements and can dormacy be skiped?

Does anyone have pictures?

How often does it flower?

thank you
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Mens Et Manus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically this plant is not an epiphyte (none of the Iperua section are.)

Care is pretty easy, it will grow in most any open media (I use equal parts very fine pine bark, perlite and LFS topped with live sphag.) I don't necessarily give it a dormancy but until this year (when it got too big) I grew it in my highlander area year round and it di just fine. There is a lot of talk about flowering and in my experience the consensus is that the plant needs to be a certain size to bloom. Most often I have heard that a plant in an 8" pot will bloom but not in a pot smaller. A cooler, drier period also seems to help stimulate blooming according to a number of growers.

All in all this is an easy plant. I would recommend the smaller form over the larger for for a beginner who is not familiar with these guys. The smaller form is more tollerant of wet conditions I have found.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why a reniformis? Have you considered, or do you already have sandersonnii or livida or bisquamata? Those are easy and flower without you having to jump through hoops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally i find both the large and small forms of reniformis to be major pains. i am growing them, they are alive but neither seems to be growing very well for me. they seem to just be surviving. which is weird cause the other in Utrics in the Iperua section that i grow are doing wonderfully as are the true epiphytes i am growing. nephrophylla and nelumblifoila are doing wonderfully but reniformis just sits there, not doing much. i think its a species that does great for some and poorly for others, kinda like Cephs or Helis.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im going to grow it the genlisa tank way, with the bowl of water so you can see the bladders. Since epiphytic utrics have the largest bladders im going tp shoot for them. Especialy humboldtii.
    Mens Et Manus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck finding humboldtii, i have yet to actually get my hands on a division. i found U. quelchii, but still havent gotten humboldtii. my U. dichotoma has larger traps than my reniformis or others i have in the Iperua section. if you want to see bladders, aquatics are your best bet. or if you want something different i would give U. nelumblifolia a try(it grows in the same manner as humboldtii and you might actually be able to find it). i dont think reniformis will work well and none of the true epiphytes like asplundii, alpina or quelchii will work to well i dont think.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Nov. 01 2005,11:00)]i dont think reniformis will work well and none of the true epiphytes like asplundii, alpina or quelchii will work to well i dont think.
    Rattler is correct, U. reniformis will NOT grow well in the manner of Genlisea trap display. U. reniformis loathes prolonged wet conditions and will rot out extremely fast if you try to grow it in that manner.

I also have to disagree with humboldtii and nelumbifolia being candidates for this method of growth. I know everyone basically believes that these plants are "sub-aquatics" and grow best in really wet, undrained bowls of sphag but I disagree in the most absolute way. Read this thread here for my reasoning. I feel too lazy to re-type all of it.

Rattler is also correct that the Orchidioides group are not good candidates for this method of growth either. As a rule I would say that Iperua and Orchidioides should be grown more like orchids or typical house plants and not like "bog" plants.

If you want to grow a Utric so as to see its traps then go with something like dichotoma or tricolor if you want "big" traps. U. praelonga also is a good candidate as are the much more common sandersonii and livida, thought their traps are smaller.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I have finnaly cracked how to grow U.reniformis so I think Il pipe in...... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I have re-potted it into a large, 25 centimetre pot in August and I topped the soil with LFS. The soil used was peat dominated with a bit of sand added.
    I then put it in shady conditions in my greenhouse, where it gets cool nights and I always keep the media wet.
    And now, its produced a HUGE leaf, bigger then in a lot of pictures I see, its almost three times the size of all the others.
    Its also sending up a lot more leaves too, and Im sure it will flower if I get the winter conditions right aswell.

So basiclly, they like their soil surface topped with LFS, they like wet conditions all the time and they like a LOT of room to spread.
    Im basiclly growing it like a cool growing orchid now, except for it has its soil constantly wet, and its working extremely well [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast