What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it going to make it?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ok, well, I have an Utricularia sandersonii, and a few weeks ago, I had been growing it in very low light conditions and kinda sorta forgot about the poor thing. Well, I had posted earlier about my terrarium in the general discussion forum, and I put it into there. Right now it is getting about 82 watts of light.

So, the thing is that since it had been growing in low light levels, its leaves got really long. But, after I put it into the terrarium, it started making some new growths outta the holes in the bottom of its pot. What I did was transplant it into a wider and slightly larger pot. Will it make it? It also has quite a bit of moss in its pot.

(P.S. I will also put a clump of U. livida in there. I shall see how it goes.)

it should be fine. sandersonii is very hardy. ive got some thats in a dart frog tank constantly getting trampled and it keeps spreading

It will make it, just let it adjust. Isn't sandersonii one of those utrics that you can grow on the outside of the pot? I want to get a terra cotta pot and make it grow on the outside.

Uh, you mean like attach itself? No, I think you would be talking about them epiphytic utrics, which grow in moss on trees. Sandersonii is a terrestrial, growing primarily in the ground, sometimes in flooded areas.

actually he is talking about a picture i posted of my sandersonii awhile back growing on a terra cotta pot. it does grow on the outside of the pot but its not very firmly attatched and doesnt take much effort to pull it off so yah have to be careful when moving the pot. sandersonii will do it and i bet the clone of aureomaculata i have will do it. yah need a utric that will send off runners above the soil level like sandersonii and not one that grows in the soil like dichotoma or livida.

heres the pic:
2067d2ef.jpg

Hmm....that's pretty awesome. I never thought that it could do that.

Cool looking, that is... One of my sandersonii is sending runners over the edges of the (plastic) pot it is in. Perhaps I'll transplant it to a terra cotta pot and see what happens. Up until now I've been growing them in a plastic pot with a mesh bottom, trying to get the traps to grow through the bottom and dangle in the water. It worked with the praelonga, but hasn't with the sandersonii *shrug*.

only thing is, make sure you get a brand new terra cotta that has never been used for anything otherwise ther will be salt/fertilizer build up. ive never run into a problem with brand new pots though. plus NEVER let the tray dry out. any Utric growing on the outside of the pot is really in danger of drying out if the tray dries out and your back to square one.

So noted, thanks for the tips!

U. sandersonii grows over the surface of dripping wet rocks, right? It seems in cultivation it would also grow over surfaces that remain damp to wet.

I think it would be neat to make a little waterfall out of rocks, and have small pockets of peaty soil here in there were U. sandersonii can grow.

Brian

Back