What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandersonii 'blue'

I was just wondering, but how did someone find out about the U. sandersonii 'Blue'? Was it growing in the wild, or was it a mutation?

-Brn

Well, hmm... My sandersonii white continues to flower continually, but after only two rather runty flowers (half-sized compared to the white), it appears that my blue has had enough and is quitting again. I am seeing no new scapes appearing. Nothing has changed that I can tell.

I have no idea who discovered (or created) the blue variant, but it is pretty. I wonder what would happen if you crossed the two? Which color would be dominant? Or would you get a surprise?

Or *can* you get seed from these flowers at all? Are they self-fertile, or is intervention necessary? I honestly haven't paid much attention as the white has been off by itself, with no where for potential seeds to spread to, other than a praelonga pot (and there's been no sign of this after 2+ months of continuous flowering).

Maybe you can conduct a controlled experiment by having the two of them side-by-side from spring through fall, outside, and see if the pollinators can cross things for you - assuming it is possible for them to operate that way.

Back