Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Asenath Waite zombie flower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utrics amaze me.

I recieved a U calcyfida "Asenath Waite" plug in the mail about two months ago. In the package, there was a flower stalk that had broken off. Attached to the stalk were two little unopened buds. I decided to stick the little stalk into some LFS for the heck of it... wouldn't ya know it, it not only started to produce a tiny little plantlet, but it also produced a flower! A zombie flower! Muuuhahahahaha!

(at least I don't have to worry about the flower burning on the light fixture)

- Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utrics are such odd balls, i have a gibba started from a trap, just a trap that broke off. Personly i like utrics, genlisae, and any dewy plant
    Mens Et Manus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I'll have to try propagating some of my utrics from flower stalk.

I have had success propagating many from a single lolon, which i do to produce plugs for trading, as well as to produce plugs that are fairly moss-free.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update:

The flower only lived for a few days before withering, however the plantlet growing from the flower 'stalk' appears to be getting larger & is very healthy.

I'm still new to the 'Unusual World of Utricularia', I wonder if a person could propagate a desirable flower attribute by plucking the whole scape and potting in LFS/mix? I suppose mutation is probably based more on the flower bud and less on the stolon or individual plant. Anyone have any experience with this?

- Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have successfully propagated all the Utrics and Genlisea in my collection from a single lolon (the green leaf, photosynthetic part of the stolon). Just make sure you get a couple mm of the white stolon along with it, and cover the white part in wet peat, leaving the green part exposed.

I have not tried propagating from scapes, but i am not surprised it works.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking