What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ever tried Utric topiary?

I had a strange thought come to mind recently, and it was that maybe someone could try making a small topiary outta some utrics, like a small ball made out of chicken wire. The little leaves could grow outta the holes in the chicken wire, and when they flower, it would be really amazing! Though, the only worry would be that the chicken wire would start rusting, but I think you could get around that problem.

-Ben

Strange that you bring this up. I just finished a bag of oranges and it popped into my head that the plastic mesh bag could probably be filled with media and used to grow one of the Orchidioides or Iperua Utrics in a hanging basket sort of way but with the freedom to grow out in every direction.

Uh-uh-uh-uhtricularia! The newest pet for your home... (Sorry I couldn't resist). What the heck kinda plants are those anyway?

Ya mean what are Chias? I really have no idea...prolly like some sorta baby tear plant, a spreading thingy.

-Ben

Aw man, didn't you watch any TV in the 80's? (I have no recollection of those events).

Soylent-Chia is A-L-F-A-L-F-A Sprouts MUAhahahahahaha!!!!
(The chia pet is alfalfa sprouts! You can eat 'em too.)

Ok; I have to go play with my Rockem Sockem Robots now.

All kidding aside, I think it would be waaaay nifty to grow some U alpina in a hanging mesh bag or the like. The presentation would look very nice in my opinion - all green with a leaf poking out in every direction. My only issue would be with watering it...

- Mike "mad as hell... ain't gonna take it anymore" R.

You would simply float the ball of Utrics in a tub of water.

-Ben

I saw U. sandersonii growing in a tree fern pot made for orchids. Like this. It will grow through the sides of the pot.

But imagine what would happen if you used one of these!

Yowzah! Cool. I just wonder how well the tree-fern containers would hold up to sitting in water. It would take a bit of time for the utrics to grow all the way around/through it. If the 'pot' disintegrated it wouldn't do much good.

And floating the thing in water? Would that really work? I'd think keeping it in a tray and letting the water wick up would be better, although it might not work on the tall 'monkey' pot. If you floated it, you'd be constantly drowning half the plant, wouldn't you? You wouldn't get 360 degree flowers that way, unless I am totally mistaken.

I guess we won't know for sure until someone tries it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (m0bius @ Dec. 30 2005,3:27)]All kidding aside, I think it would be waaaay nifty to grow some U alpina in a hanging mesh bag or the like. The presentation would look very nice in my opinion - all green with a leaf poking out in every direction. My only issue would be with watering it...
Water it just like an orchid in a hanging basket, drench and then wait till it needs it again. That is basically how I grow mine now anyways.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You would simply float the ball of Utrics in a tub of water.

Not with U. alpina or any of the other Orchidioides and Iperua you would not, these guys would rot out in a heart beat if you tried to float them in water perpetually.

I have a batch of alpina seedlings that I am going to try moving into the mesh bag set up. I also have an established 'Jitka' that I think I am going to transfer over and see how it does. Maybe in a few months I'll have an update.

Back