What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric structure

Ok, a couple questions that is probably a duh to most of you... I have both the white and blue varieties of U. sandersonii. The 'white' has the rounded tiny leaves (stolons?) and also a patch of tall, grass-like leaves. The grassy leaves have taken on an attractive reddish-purplish hue, that seems to indicate the plant is quite happy, and it flowers prolifically.

The blue has only the rounded leaves, none of the taller grass-like ones. The two flowers it developed were smaller than the white's blossoms, and also not really blue at all, but rather a lavender to light-mid purple, though they had the same 'ears' and overall structure as the white. I have read the 'blue' is more difficult to flower.

Questions:
1. Are the grass-like leaves normal for this species? Should the 'blue' develop them eventually, or not?
2. Should the 'blue' flowers really be a light blue, or is the lavender-purple normal? Didn't know if 'blue' was just a euphemism like calling deep purple tulips 'black'...

sandersonii leaves can vary greatly depending on what kind of light they are getting. ive seen all kinds of shapes in mine. my blue is a a light blue, not purple but than again depending on what light it can varry a bit and im not sure if there is more than one clone

Ok, well I just wondered because as much as I can I have placed the two in the same conditions. Same soil, same size pot, same light. The 'blue' grows more slowly, and seems generally not to be thriving as well. I don't know why. Maybe its just a runty clone. If it ever flowers again, I'll try to get photos, to display the color. I thought they were quite pretty while they lasted!

Just trying to learn as I go...

what are your temps night and day roughly? ive found the blue form to be just as vigorous as the standard as far as leaf and runner growth, just has fewer flowers.

Back