Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy heterosepala

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the explanation Tony.

I am still a little unclear about flower morphology (I need to see some diagrams to make this stuff clear in my mind - bract, bracteole, etc). Based on your reading, do you think that the absence of a bracteole is a clear diagnostic? I think I can see the bracts clearly in at least one of my photos, can you offer any information based on those images?

In lieu of my bracteole 'disability' - I noted that the easiest diagnostic seems to be the trap morphology. It seems that heterosepala has much longer appendages... whereas graminifolia seems to have recurvate appendages. I have a microscope so I think I will try taking a look at the traps on my plants. Maybe this will offer some insight (at least for myself).

I like a good puzzle! But now I begin to understand why Taylor swore off Utricularia after completing his work.

- Mike "a flower is a flower, unless it's just a bract, then its outside the flower..." or something.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your third photo showing the side view the bract would be that green thing that is covering the junction of the flower to the inflorescence. Bracteoles if present would be partly inside that bract. They would be considerably smaller and not attached to the bract.

Trap morphology is helpful as well as leaf shape and number and orientation of veins. It has been a while since I looked at traps. My U. graminifolia were tiny at the time so I didn't compare traps. Perhaps I will when I am bored ;> I mostly stuck with the bracteole situation because the main key for this section of Utricularia uses the presence/absence of bracteoles as the fork between U. graminifolia and U. heterosepala. Ideally I would like to catalog a number of other traits such as seed charactistics, traps, leaf veins etc to confirm one way or the other as to what I have.. My plants labelled U. graminifolia came to me like that and they do seem to fit with others I have seen.

If you get a chance to look in your scope. Here is a side view of the traps of the plant I have keyed out as U. heterosepala They seem to at least look kinda like the line drawing in Taylors [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Tony. Here is a comparison of U. heterosepala and U. graminifolia traps and seeds from Taylor. Note that the trap morphology difference is rather subtle, but the seeds are very different.

Taylor (p. 399) states
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]U. heterosepala is a very distinct and remarkable species.
    If so, why are so many folks so confused?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AHHH oh I dunno. Took a look this morning at both my plants and they both appear to have bracteoles. So now I am just more befuddled. I attempted to self a couple flowers of my 'U. heterosepala'. Back to Taylor's key to see if there are any other possibilites...The U. graminifolia flowers are just about all gone. I will try taking a look at the traps on that plant perhaps on Sunday.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have got Taylor's book before I sold terrestrial Utics so I could have saw for myself that they were labeled (in)correctly.

-Homer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12