Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy heterosepala

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I obtained this clone from Homer a few months ago... it seems to be doing pretty well. I am quite fond of the dark venation.

It's been growing in a mix of peat:sand w. plenty of water.

- Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that clone U. graminifolia?

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben,

I haven't had any reason to question the validity of the label... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

Looking at photos of U graminifolia vs. U heterosepala, I'm not sure what the difference might be (the flowers look similar in many images). I will take a good look at my copy of Taylor's book and see what the differentiating features might be - I seem to recall something about traps being different, etc. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time I received a mislabeled plant (accidents do happen).

- Mike

p.s. This little guy is really starting to put up flower scapes now! Also, I was really surprised that the flower illustrated in these images had just recently faded - it was one month old!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks more like what I have as U. graminifolia. Large poofy callus kinda heart shaped. First flower on mine are about 5cm up the stem.

What I have as U. heterosepala. Much smaller poofy callus which is mostly round and has that very distinct narrow ridge that extends down the middle. The first flowers are also closer to 10-15cm up the stem.

Perhaps I will take a look in Taylor's again. It has been a while.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my U. heterosepala from m0bius... Should I re-label as U. graminifolia?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question Scott. The plants I have labelled as U. heterosepala came to me labelled as U. prehensilis. Which once they flowered was clearly wrong. I used Taylors key starting on page 305 to narrow it down to U. heterosepala, arcuata, or graminifolia

According to Taylors key the split between them is whether there are bracteoles present or not. U. heterosepala doesn't have them while the other two do. Maybe later I can have a closer look as both plants are in flower now. Perhaps I can try getting some seed on both as an additional comparison. Or look at some traps. Very hard to determine some of these features looking through a magnifying glass and comparing to taylors line drawings and written descriptions.

At the time, I looked at all the U. heterosepala and graminifolia pics from BobZs website and there was only one other picture that looked like mine in the heterosepala section. All the other pics looked like what I call U. graminifolia. A fair number of them were labelled as U. heterosepala though. So appears there is alot of confusion and potential for acquiring U. graminifolia labelled as U. heterosepala. Part of the problem is I am not 100% absolutely positive what I have is U. heterosepala either!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a "bracteole"?
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhh.. well. They are essentially smaller bracts. They usually appear lateral to the bract. Typically partially concealed by the bract but not always.

Have a look at the junction of the flower stem and the inflorescence. If there is just a single bract then most likely there are no bracteoles. Most likely because in some cases the bract and bracteoles are fused. In one case the bracteoles are up right behind the flower calyx.

In U. graminifolia the bracteoles are fixed at the base, much narrower and slightly shorter than the bract (which is 1mm long)

U. heterosepala bracts are 2.5-3mm long

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast