What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok who sent me...

U. subulata?

Luckly I have it in it's own pot, and the flowers are actually opening, I'll try to get picks tomorrow, it should be fully open then.
Yesterday it was a yellow ball, today it looks like this:

For some reason, my U. subulata flowers kinda open, but then get all deformatulated, and don't open up quite right. Anyways, that's a pretty neat flower.

Well, it was open when I got home, and here it is:

Congrats on the flowers! For an invasive species, this has been one of major disappointment! I get all kinds of flowers stalks and no flowers.

Interesting... what kind of conditions are you growing it in?

I have a small pot of U. subulata inside, and a large pot of S. minor completely covered with U. subulata outside. They are genetic clones of each other.

The one inside only develops cleistogamous (closed) flowers. The one outside seems to flower whenever there is a prolonged dip in temperature; i.e. in Houston winter.

It seems to be the clone invloved. I have some mixed in with a few other pots, that aren't blooming.

This one that is was sent to me as something else, and I had placed it in its own pot. Grows side by side with the non-blooming ones.

Conditions:

Temp: Day: 78-80F Night: 65-70F
Humidity: 40%

Lighting: Each shelf has 2 2 bulb 4' fixtures So a total of 4 4' bulbs. 2 bulbs per shelf are the plant and aquarium bulbs, the other 2 are daylight bulbs. Lights are about 10-12" from the media surface.

Media: 1:1 Peat:Vermiculite

Back