What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Utric flower pics

Click any image for a larger view.

U. calycifida 'Yog-Sothoth'

U. calycifida 'Mrs. Marsh'

U. heterosepala

U. prehensilis

U. sandersonii

U. dichotoma

Very nice photos, but that isn't U. nephrophylla. It's difficult to tell exactly what it is from the front-on angle though.

Beautiful
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Feb. 13 2006,1:35)]Very nice photos, but that isn't U. nephrophylla. It's difficult to tell exactly what it is from the front-on angle though.
D'oh!

Thanks; it is labelled correctly in my greenhouse as U. heterosepala.

Still nice pics!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 13 2006,5:51)]Still nice pics!
I'm still learning to use the macro lens.

I don't have a tripod to hold it steady, and the very shallow drpth of field means that at true macro, I will only have part of the flower in sharp focus at a time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Feb. 13 2006,2:58)]I don't have a tripod to hold it steady, and the very shallow drpth of field means that at true macro, I will only have part of the flower in sharp focus at a time.
I partially fix the depth of field problem using a steady tripod which allows me set the f-stop high (f22 or so). This lengthens exposure time, of course. So the real key is to keep the camera steady.

Nice pics! The narrow DOF actually works on Mrs. Marsh. What I've sometimes done is to put the camera on a stack of books and then set up the plant in front of it. It's somewhat of a hassle, but it allows you to get the entire flower in relative focus and you don't have to buy a tripod.

That being said, buy a tripod anyway
biggrin.gif

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Feb. 17 2006,3:16)]Nice pics! The narrow DOF actually works on Mrs. Marsh.  What I've sometimes done is to put the camera on a stack of books and then set up the plant in front of it.  It's somewhat of a hassle, but it allows you to get the entire flower in relative focus and you don't have to buy a tripod.

That being said, buy a tripod anyway
biggrin.gif

Peter
Ive tried that stack of books thing myself. The biggest problem is that its extremely difficult to get the exact angles that are often needed to get the pics to come out right. I keep telling myself that I am going to get a tripod soon but somehow it still hasnt happened yet lol.

Back