Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U. subulata flower, FINALLY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An effective method of preventing cross contamination of utricularia species is to wrap each pot in a tall sleeve of clear, thin acetate plastic (available in craft/hobby stores). You would need to be growing the plants in round pots in order to make a good sleeve. The concept is much like the protective plastic sleeves that cut flowers and African Violets are sold in. The pots can be nestled up against each other without too much worry about seed fallng into other pots. I think an 8 inch sleeve should work wonders...provided you have a bright enough light source above.

Just a thought

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    philcula, that sounds like a cool idea. Except for the fact that I like U. subulata. Anywho, I just got back from a school trip, and noticed another U. subulata flower. I'll just have to hope for more. Oh, and thanks Dyflam!

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that my U. bisquamata never flowers indoors, and the U. subulata only produces claistogamous flowers.

However, when I grow either species outside, they flower like crazy in spring, as it warms up; first, the U. subulata, then the U. bisquamata.

I plan to try an experiment, placing a pot of each in the fridge for 6 weeks, and then returning to the grow chamber, to see if the temp change triggers flowering artificially.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both species flower for me inside and subulata did the cleistogamous thing outside. I'm more inclined, with my limited sample size, that this correlational, as opposed to causality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so ya know, it's still making flowers

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Mar. 22 2006,4:32)]But I wanted to know, is this some kind of form, since the three lobes aren't connected?
    U. subulata is very pleiomorphic, your plant is not a special form it is just one of a million diffferent veriations on flower structure. I have seen differences in individual flowers on the "one" clone that has managed to take hold in my binata complex pots. Don;t be suprised if the flowers on your switch up to some "new" shape
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 24 2006,8:53)]I've had both species flower for me inside and subulata did the cleistogamous thing outside. I'm more inclined, with my limited sample size, that this correlational, as opposed to causality.
    I have only once seen my U. bisquamata flower inside, and the U subulata never produced yellow flowers inside.

Two years in a row, however, I see the U subulata produce scores of yellow flowers in Spring, and shortly afterwards, the U. bisquamata does the same... and then, as it gets hotter, the U. bisquamata stops flowering, and the U. subulata continues producing cleistogamous flowers.

I'll run a controlled experiment, soon, though, and we'll see if temp changes induce flowering.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12