What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. amethystina in its natural habitat........sorta

the species has never done much for me so i said the heck with it and removed it from its pot and placed it in one of my dart frog tanks. oddly enough it REALLY likes it and i now have more lolons than i ever have. here it is growing happily amoungst liverworts and moss

b46c4475.jpg

I like how its natural habitat involves four glass walls. Interesting plant, though. Are those circular 'leaves' the lolons?

-D. Lybrand

lol the species is from South America as are both species of frogs in the tank(if U. amethystina is from Suriname than thats even better as actually both species(6 frogs in all) are from Suriname)

lolons=leaves

I read that Utrics have stolons and lolons. Is this true and what's the difference?

-D. Lybrand

lol now there is an argument. technically Utrics do not have leaves or roots. they seem to be actually a modified type of stolon(stolons are runners, think strawberry plants and spider plants). some argue that they should just be called leaves, roots and stolons. others think they are unique enough to be called something else which is where "lolon", "rolons" and stolons come in. i like using lolon and rolon cause, well ive heard enough of an argument that they should be different that i agree with it and it rubs some ppl the wrong way for some reason and sometimes i enjoy doing that
smile_n_32.gif

Good enough a reason for me I guess!

Now maybe I should start growing Utrics...

-D. Lybrand

I started the lollon (leaf)/rollon (root) terminology just to make trouble, hahaha. Well, not entirely: I always felt that Peter Taylor was remiss in not differentiating and got tired of typing "underground stolons".  It is not a botanically correct term so expect some "heat" if you use it, but please do - I get a kick out of seeing the term spread, and this is how language evolves - a word that better describes what is.

Thats a beautiful plant Rattler, I never could get mine to do squat. I believe this is an annual (??) so pray for the flowers and learn to pollinate them (then teach me!).

annual? i think ive had it for several years. and its not done much though until being placed in with the frogs not sure if it actually enjoys the foot traffic or the "fertilizer" but hopefully it will bloom now that it likes its new digs. im thinking it might not of liked the perminatly soaked conditions i had it in but it survived them. where its at now is on a lil hill of coco fiber thats always damp but not quite what i would call saturated

Back