Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrestrial Utrics suspended in water

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up taking home some plastic rose displays and fitted them into Rubbermaid containers that I can see through. Each display has 15 cells, so there went 15 Utric species into each cell and then 15 pings into another. but I also took a romano cheese container and emplaced the 2" pot of Genlisea hispidula atop. So hopefully the "roots: will penetrate through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, time for an update. I bought a G lobata x violacea, a U. reinformis and a U. longifolia, and placed them into 3" pots (the only thing I had availible). The pots were placed in a chromatography tank I scavenged, which was filled with water. It's lit by a spiral flourescent bulb.

The set up:

Unfortunately, the longifola hasn't done well. It's alive, and I see leaves poking up, but not very many, and no roots. The Genlisea has thrived, and is blooming like mad, but the pot must be too deep, because none of the roots are visible. However, 3rd time's a charm, and the reinformis has grown like mad in both directions.

Bottom of the U reinformis:

Detail of the traps:

So, it seems to at least work with reinformis. Any tips for helping the longifolia revive?

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very cool...................no clue on the longifolia, it should love those conditions....................the reniformis however, tend to not like to be constantly wet................whats happening should be switched between the two.......very interesting results, im curious as to how the reniformis likes the conditions long term
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard longifolia prefers humid conditions, but haven't confirmed it with any growers. Anybody know if there's truth to this? I grow mine in my highland Nep tank but I'm not sure if it likes it. It's growing fine, but the leaves are shorter than when I got it as a plug and they seem to be an unusually light shade of green. As for your Genlisea not reaching down through the pot, you may have to put it in a container with a more richly perforated bottom. When I repot my G. hispidula I find roots that form large "U"s; they grow down from the plant, then hit the bottom of the pot, turn back upwards and grow toward the surface of the soil, sometimes poking out just slightly before resuming their descent. I think that specimen pictured in The Savage Garden may have grown that way because the bottom of the container is so open.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mokele: great job with the setup and photography!

I ended up using a plastic display tray for each species of Utric. This is a lousy picture of it, back in April:

AS to U longifolia, like sandersonii blue, I have it in perpetually waterlogged conditions. Not seeing attempts to flower, but it is green and growing new suficial leaves.

I have since abandonned the suspended G. hispidula endeavor and have in a realtively normal pot. It is sending up new flower stalks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for me it turned out that the pots I were using were too small, and the water was evaporating too quickly. I had traps and roots growing down into the water on most of the plants, but they seemed to not be doing well at all. After the first few months of growing fine they took a steep decline. Then I decided to move them all into clay pots sitting in water with Azolla growing in it, and they exploded with growth! I grow Azolla in all the water trays I have. The Azolla releases excess nitrogen into the surrounding water. I can no longer look at the traps because they are now in peat, but the plants are now thriving. I think I remember reading someplace thant utrics like to spread out and do not like being root bound, so after I transplanted all my plants into 4 inch clay pots they exploded with growth and I have two flowering. Sandersonii, I think, and another yellow flowered one. Maybe if I get off my lazy behind and build the dispaly tank I have an idea for It might be large enough to make the utrics happy yet still have a way to display the traps. I will get back as soon as I make one.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input, everyone. In the next step, I'm going to try to sort out what's up with the longifola, and try to figure out a potting system that's more shallow and porous. I'm thinking of using plastic mesh with LFS across it to hold stuff in, then peat and LFS for the main medium. Hopefully that'll give the roots more room to descend.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My U. longifolia is rely doing awesome! its in straight LFS and just putting out stolon after stolon! ive only had it for a few weeks. its in a terrarium under lights.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast