Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrestrial Utrics suspended in water

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently, a hobbyist on CPUK posted a picture of U. reniformis in a container that was suspended in a jar, filled with water.. One can see the roots in the water. Awhile back, Elegecko posted the same concept, patterned from Savage Garden.

Can all terrestrial Utrics be cultivated in like manner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think so. Just that you'd want to cover the outside of the glass jar to kill any algae, and to also keep your plant from making stolons on the bladders, since they will if any light reaches the bladders.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic reminds me of something regarding utric propogation that I'd like to share. My U. reniformis was "rootbound" and had several inches of bladders growing out of the holes on the bottom of the pot. On one strand, a tiny stolon was growing, so I snipped it off along with the rest of the bladders, and put it in its own pot. Days later, I noticed that the tiny stolon produced a new 1/2" long leaf, fully developed. I was worried about going in and hacking away at my U. reniformis, but this method as I explained is a sure way to avoid "disturbing" the parent plant. This is probably standard knowledge amongst the utric crowd, but I thought I'd share anyway.

-Homer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to have a vat of water and a tray with various pot sized holes that could fit on top, partially submerged. This way I could fill each pot with a Utric and have the whole collection accommodated.

Utrics remind of the regenerative powers of a planarian!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya like in the savage garden! they used a Gelnsalia though... i am going to try that method once i get somthing like that though....
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been turning it over in my mind and I thought of using a styrofoam cooler cover and mesh netting or my wife's nylons sunk through holes the size of 4" pots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am doing this methed on all my utrics and one other bladderwort. It isn't many just about 8 total. I am using mason jars and rubermade containers with holes drilled in them. Some are not producing bladders below the peat mix and some are only growing there with leaves forming around the sides od the containers. I have an idea for a really cool Utric pot that will have removable sides and a way to water without having to lift the plant. I just have to build my prototype and then present it to the croud. GL Jimscott with your project.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw this topic, and thought that I should add I'm trying the same thing with two utrics and a genlisea suspended in an old thin-layer chromatography container (essentially a hollow glass container 12" x 12" x 3", with a 12" x 3" opening at the top) that I salvaged. One of the utrics got pretty messed up in shipping, and it's too early for anything to be visible, but I'll post photos if it suceeds.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast