What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light levels and temps for:

Hey folks, I just recieved these two plants and I'm wondering if my brightly lit highland chamber is the best place for them or if they should be warmer or more shaded? The alpina has developed bright yellow leaf and it will probably turn all yellow and drop off. Will the color return in a shadier location? should the reniformis also be shaded from intense light?

intermediate-highland conditions work. mine are sitting in with my neps and doing great, especially the alpina. im using 4, 32 watt T8s with the Utrics about 12 inces from the lights water them like my neps. not unusual for alpina(and asplundii) to drop their leaves. mine do it every once in a while just to worry me i think. as long as you have tubers your good to go. reniformis is another that likes to torque me off by dropping leaves on a regular basis but its got good sized, healthy looking tubers so im not overly concerned. reniformis likes to have room. the more you can give it the better. 8 inch pot is about the minimum for the large form. Pyro's has carrot sized tubers, mine are just baby carrot sized

Well Rattler just about covered it.

Just to add my 2 cents. Error on the cooler side to start with. These guys seem to establish better treated like highlanders but once established you can move them around to all kinds of places. Light should be anywhare between 30-70% full sun. You might get a little burn on existing leaves if you are at the higher end but new leaves will be able to take it.

I have all my reniformis outside in the summer. They get protection from the sun by being shaded by other plants but still get 50-60% sun I'd guess. My alpina are in the crawlspace with all the other Orchidioides group though I am considering moving at least one pot up to the deck since it is getting obscenely large. The yellowing of theleaf is not a big deal, usually after shipping the plants are a little shocky and will drop leaves. As Rattler said, so long as you have tubers you are safe. I do recommend keeping the media a little drier while they acclimate, if you are using sphag in your mix a good rule of thumb is that it should not be crisp but should not drip freely with water. Once the plant begins producing new leaves you can allow the moisture level to go up and down more.

Back